New Aquarium or should I try to fix my old one?

Hello all,

I'm taking tiny step into the light now as I've been a lurker on here for quite some time. I'm not even totally sure how to navigate through this site - but here it goes. Its my intention to make more of a presence on this site as I am crazy addicted to this hobby!

I currently have a 75 gallon tank. 48x18x can't remember how tall (but at least there is the base), its cool and all but the scratches are really keeping me from enjoying it. I want to get a new aquarium that will fit my existing stand, but feature a corner overflow. With a corner overflow I can "peninsula" the aquarium and look at it from 3 sides.

The big question is "How to I go about doing this?", do I go to a LFS and talk to peoples about getting one in? Or do I just wait to see if one eventually shows up that I like?

finally, assuming I get this new aquarium, is there any way to buff out scratches from a tank? I saw a youtube featuring L.A. fish guy having guys polish out an old aquarium using something like a car buffer. Any thoughts?

Thanks for spending time on a newbie.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is the tank acrylic? If its acrylic you can sand and buff scratches out
If you want brand new you could order one off glasscages.com there reasonably priced!
Don't hesitate to ask for help the people on this site are top notch and are here to help

its a glass and I really should have mentioned that. I will call them up today as I've been browsing through their site. Thanks for the reply.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
90 Long48 x 18 x 24 (Blk Aq Frame /w Crossbar Inc.)$539

Here's a tank from them then just have them add the side overflow you will be set!

Its to early to call them now, but I was thinking rimless. Do they even ship here an how much would it cost? Is it worth it to invest in the starfire glass? Finally, I wanted to "herbie overflow" the setup and have them do a corner overflow with 3 holes (one being the return). Sound like a good idea? Suggestions? I'm thinking about the eventual resale of this tank, but I'm also sick of settling for tanks that were "ok".

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
colaebola;168001 said:
Its to early to call them now, but I was thinking rimless. Do they even ship here an how much would it cost? Is it worth it to invest in the starfire glass? Finally, I wanted to "herbie overflow" the setup and have them do a corner overflow with 3 holes (one being the return). Sound like a good idea? Suggestions? I'm thinking about the eventual resale of this tank, but I'm also sick of settling for tanks that were "ok".
They will ship anywhere not sure on cost though. Is this a tank you are going to have for a long time or you going to go bigger and upgrade? If its a tank your going to keep you may consider star fire for three sides your talking big money though. No matter what you do your not going to get your money back on resale.

They do ship a few different sizes but it adds exponentially to the price. Otherwise, they have an employee drive their truck to make deliveries and you get your tank to hop on board with other tanks. The Cheyenne Mt. Zoo just recently had several tanks delivered and they threw on the custom glass tank I ordered. I had to meet them up in Louisville and a daycare center that was also getting a 400+ gallon tank delivered. The pro is the price and it saves you money on S/H, the con is that they only come to the Denver area as needed based on demand from other purchases in the area. I purchased my tank on the 2nd and was lucky enough to get it delivered on the 10th. I had to order a tank with specific dimensions to fit as a sump into my stand. They're in TN so they open 2 hours ahead of us, call them and ask next time they are comng to Denver metro area. Side note: I'm waiting in this parking lot for them to arrive so they can offload my tank, and in drives this MONSTEROUS big rig. After it parks, the door opens up and a tiny, tiny little blond girl gets out and steps down with a southern accent so thick I almost couldn't understand her. Her and a passenger open up the back and there are tons of tanks inside. I get excited thinking about all the possibliities with these big tanks for people that can afford a tank the size of my living room....and they bring out this little, about 48 gallon tank of mine. I, of course quickly tried the old switcharoo...no ma'am, my tank is that 800 gallon one right there. Just tie it onto the back of my little sedan and I'm off!!!
Good luck and welcome to MASC!

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome, and just as Craig said if your going to keep it for some time then star-fire is the way to go. Just remember that you won't get it back if you sell it down the road.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just my personal opinion but I don't think starphire would be a worthwhile investment if the glass is less than 1/2" thick. I think it does make a big difference when you get into the really big glass tanks with thicker glass. Anyone know what typical thickness is for 75-90g tanks? I'm thinking 1/4-3/8" right?