New house basement build

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Just a little less than 3 months till my new house is built and I can't wait. Starting to plan my basement out and design my new systems. Here is a working plan for how I plan to lay things out in the new place http://pl.an/gia2sa . The tank on the bottom is my old 480 from Loveland. Its going to be set up as a softy/predator type tank this time around and should be fairly low maintenance. The big tank on the corner will be built in place and will be another plywood aquarium. This time with 2 viewing panels on the exposed sides and a walkway around the back side to facilitate maintenance. Total golons on this new aquarium should be around 1200-1400 for the tank.
The large tank behind will be some sort of sump, possibly the 500 gallon one I have set up in my inlaws basement and plumbed into the main tank. Probably will add a ton of sand to it with some minimal rock and try to get a nice seagrass bed growing in it.
Behind it is my quaratine system which is being planned as 4 40g breeders in stacks of 2 to Q fish as needed and for whatever else might be required.
Right now I am planning on having steel frame stands built for each of the big aquariums and doing most of the rest of the work myself. For those of you that can see reefcentral Copps new tank is part of my inspiration http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2253772&page=10
To keep costs down long term I plan on adding a lot more LEDs to my system as well as DC pumps wherever possible. The basement will have a seperate electrical subpanel to power my madness as well.
For ventilation at least one core will be drilled with a heat exchanger installed to vent excess humidity in addition to dehumidifiers as needed.
Feel free to comment and add ideas since its 3 months to launch I have plenty of time to play around at this point.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Sounds like a killer killer new systems Scott and transfer of biggest system in the club once again lol. I however dont see any plan attached but would love to see how it lays out. Also who is the builder and where is the house?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Everything is in links couldn't get the plan in a format that I could post it directly here.
Builder is Lennar and my new place will be out by I70 and Gun Club road in the Adonea community. I forsee a meeting in the future as well.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Following along. Did I read the post correctly that you're building a 1200-1400 plywood tank? Or is that total system volume?

An old shop by my house built a huge plywood tank for their shark after the original tank blew. (1000+ gal on their floor that night.) They were able to save the original front panel and build around it.

Will you have some sort of access door out of the basement other than having to go up the stairs? That would be a big priority for me if I was building new. Double wide doors so you can get your huge tanks in/out. Best of luck with the house!

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This build sounds soooooo coooool. Can't wait to see it.

V

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Total system volume will be 1800 plus and unfortunatly after its built it wont ever come out in one piece no way around that.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;319977 said:
Total system volume will be 1800 plus and unfortunatly after its built it wont ever come out in one piece no way around that.

All you need to be able to do is take the glass :p

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Sounds good Seth broke right now well till I close on the new place at least.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Woot! Been waiting for this, cant wait to see this bad boy(s) go in. All this going to be plumbed together or separate systems?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Softy tank and big system will be seperate as well as any Q tanks. I am playing with the idea of adding a smaller 50g or so tank above the wet bar plumbed into the system and set up as a deepwater/cooler with NPS system allowing for heat to dissapate in the plumbing and perhaps a small chiller as needed but this is theoretical at this point.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Oh and one final possibility would be sand bed flats plumbed into the system, basically boxes 8-10 inches deep filled with 6 inches of sand around 2 foot by 4 foot in a stack with perhaps 4 systems. Seal them all to prevent moisture loss and provide some low level LED lights. Basically these are designed to produce plankton and denitrify the system.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Following along. As always grateful for u getting me into the hobby.
Are u doing away w metal halides or using the LEDs to light up when the halides aren't on?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Not sure yet on lighting that is the part of the system that still has the most potential for change. Really thinking about LEDS but that would also be somewere over 8k in just lights.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;320118 said:
Not sure yet on lighting that is the part of the system that still has the most potential for change. Really thinking about LEDS but that would also be somewere over 8k in just lights.

IMO stick with halides as primary lighting for the main tank and accent with LED for off time and night time. DIY it up on the LED side.

Do 4x 400w halides put as high as they can go in a square and fill in with custom LED strips. I will post an image in a sec.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

4ft LED bars with a 1 to 1 white to blue ratio
3ft LED bars with a 2 to 1 blue to white ratio

4ft LED bars driven by 1 driver each
3ft LED bars driven by 2 drivers each 1 per color channel

Last edited by a moderator:

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Definatly a thought especially since I already have the 4 halides.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I might suggest that you make rock/coral structures and juts put lights over those - cool look and quite a bit cheaper. I imagine that you are going to have channels and sandy areas? Also, I REALLY like having a dishwasher in my tank room.