refugium
x2 return pumps
lights will be led @ 12,000k and 422nm
ill put some pictures in soon

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Great idea actually. Are they both internal or external? Might have to watch the heat with 2 if they are both internal and larger pumps. Anxious to see pics :)

lostman

Turbo Snail
They can be set to both but i am using internal im not worried about heat as there is no friction anywhere if so i can always use ice bags (hopefully not) the tank should be cycled in 3 weeks
As im thirteen school has taken its toll so this will be a slow build

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Wait! Your 13? Wow.

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
any pump you put in the tank will create heat. after I switched to the mp10, my temp dropped 1-2 degree lower than my three koralia. you might not notice if your tank is bigger and more evaporation.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't see the logic in the 2 returns, are you doing a closed loop? A separate pump for each return (assuming you have two returns)? Would that cause high flow through your sump? I guess it depends on the pumps you choose. Will you be setting up a manifold to run reactors from the pumps?

Will the lights be DIY?

Sent using Forum Runner

lostman

Turbo Snail
two returns is basically a back up ill have two 375 gph pumps = 750 gph its just an extra fail safe, ill probably dose the water because im short on room ill put up a diagram there are three sump tanks because there is a divider in the stand.

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
speaking from experience, 2 375g does not equal 1 750g at 4' height. smaller pumps lose a lot of pressure after 3'. you might only get 150g per pump at 4' where as 400-500g for the larger. I used to run 2 500g/h for my cichlids tank but when I switched to 1 900g/h pump, it was much stronger.

I have heard of ppl using 2 returns and having them on different circuts, that way if one breaker trips you still have the other pump to get you through.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

plumbing is all in a few fish are in & the ammonia,nitrite,nitrate have been at zero ... ive found a cycle lots of weeks ago unsure how many weeks ago. but everything is fine the skimmer is pulling all sorts out of the tank

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ever have your power go out and come back on but yet your return pump sticks? People that live in brown out or black out areas tend to run dual returns just for this purpose. Odds are both return pumps wont stick when the power comes back on.

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run twin return pumps on the Columbine tank, in addition to a closed loop. All three are Gen X Mak 4s. Redundancy, in my mind. That, and the tank is not in my home, so if something goes bad on one, the other picks up the slack until I get back there to notice. BTW, they are each plugged into different circuits as well.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
On my 180 I ran two 1200 gph pumps I loved it I could take one off line and clean it and never shut the tank down I also had a 150 gallon sump in the tank honestly my tanks was really sucessful and did great with that flow through the sump/refugium

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I also ran two sedra 5000 on my 180 until I switch to a reeflo dart. I only saw my temp drop 1 deg when I switch.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2