Ro vat tds - clean or replace?

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ro reads 0ppm coming out, but I decided to test my 75 gallon vat tds yesterday. It was 770ppm. I use it to mix salt and do water changes, but I never imagined it would be that high. Tap water is only 140ppm here.

So, what's everyone's thoughts?
clean it? Any suggestions how?

Should I just replace it?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
What container are you using? and what are testing tds with? With it that high though I would be inclined to replace it but I would make sure the test are accurate first.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you ever put salt in there, the TDS will always be off of the charts, even if you have mostly drained and refilled it.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ah ya Doug is right, you did mention you use it to mix salt batches, and that would account for the tds spike then

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, maybe I won't worry about it. Doesn't seem to effect the tanks. Just using s handheld tds to test.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did finally drain it, scrub it, and run a vinegar/water mix through it. Filling it back up with ro/di now. Hopefully, that knocks it down, and I'll use a trash can I used to use to mix from now on

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Full vat. 0ppm tds. Vinegar and tap water bath did the trick. There was a thin layer of nasty on the bottom. I've had this vat for a decade and don't think I've ever cleaned it, but this seems to have worked.

Last edited:

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used the same brute for over a decade and even while there was no salt in there, I would get TDS around 5-10 even though if you caught the RODI coming out of the unit, it was always 0-1. For me, this is just the cost of doing business? :) I would not worry about RODI reservoir values too much... especially if salt ever got into there.

When my salt mixing vats get cruddy, I put a bit of Muriatic Acid in there and it dissolves most stuff. This drops the alk and also the pH, but I can wait a day or two to use it. I nearly always use Muriatic to lower the dKh in my mix, so they don't get get any residue anymore.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used the same brute for over a decade and even while there was no salt in there, I would get TDS around 5-10 even though if you caught the RODI coming out of the unit, it was always 0-1. For me, this is just the cost of doing business? :) I would not worry about RODI reservoir values too much... especially if salt ever got into there.

When my salt mixing vats get cruddy, I put a bit of Muriatic Acid in there and it dissolves most stuff. This drops the alk and also the pH, but I can wait a day or two to use it. I nearly always use Muriatic to lower the dKh in my mix, so they don't get get any residue anymore.
5 ro 10 and I'd have thought nothing of it... 770ppm though. That's bad. It's still at 0 after cleaning it though. I may even keep using it mix salt and just clean it after. It's a pain to move from the basement though.