Shawn's 175g Peninsula Build

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
szavoda;345888 said:
Woke up to a nice little flood this morning. I bought a few Kent Marine float valves. The one used in my freshwater holding tank was supposed to be a backup in case the upper float switch failed and left the water on. Unfortunately, the compression nuts that came with them are all crap. The tubing actually wiggled it's way out of the nut and onto the floor. Water founds its way to my access hole in the floor I made and, well, let's just say that my basement ceiling was dripping water when I checked it out.

Bleh...

I replaced the nut with one from a spare RO unit and it cleared that up.
On the up side you protected your floors and are getting the bugs worked out before everything is fully setup and cycled.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;345888 said:
Woke up to a nice little flood this morning. I bought a few Kent Marine float valves. The one used in my freshwater holding tank was supposed to be a backup in case the upper float switch failed and left the water on. Unfortunately, the compression nuts that came with them are all crap. The tubing actually wiggled it's way out of the nut and onto the floor. Water founds its way to my access hole in the floor I made and, well, let's just say that my basement ceiling was dripping water when I checked it out.

Bleh...

I replaced the nut with one from a spare RO unit and it cleared that up.
First, overall looks really clean and well thought out. Second, I was going to recommend having failover switches as I didn't see them in the pic. I've had several float switches, different brands, fail over the years and they are all double protected/redundant. That alone has saved me a few times.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
DyM;345994 said:
First, overall looks really clean and well thought out. Second, I was going to recommend having failover switches as I didn't see them in the pic. I've had several float switches, different brands, fail over the years and they are all double protected/redundant. That alone has saved me a few times.
+1 on the redundant switches. I am going to order them now and get them installed asap.

This damn Kent Float in the sump is driving me crazy, though. I can't get it to stop dripping a little extra in (from where I do not know). I am going to try to swap it out with another one and see it that helps.

On a positive note, my Nitrites spiked way up yesterday and ammonia came down to 1.2. Things are happening :).

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Since you have an apex, you can put your second switches tied to a virtual outlet, and then get a notifications if one fails so you know. Let me know if you want me to go into more detail.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
DyM;346005 said:
Since you have an apex, you can put your second switches tied to a virtual outlet, and then get a notifications if one fails so you know. Let me know if you want me to go into more detail.
I have some posts about how to do that on neptune forums.

List of useful failsafes in post #11 of this thread.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sh...hose-With-ATO-Add-a-couple-more-lines-of-code

My own personal uber failsafe ATO code in post 9.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sh...ed-saved-by-backup-switch-What-did-I-do-wrong

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
In addition to those, you can also do switch disagreement virtual outlets if they are approximately the same height.

Ex

HighSw1Fail
Set OFF
If HighSw1 CLOSED Then ON
If HighSw2 CLOSED Then OFF
Defer 060:00 Then ON

HighSw2Fail
Set OFF
If HighSw2 CLOSED Then ON
If HighSw1 CLOSED Then OFF
Defer 060:00 Then ON

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's been a month and I figure it is time for a small update. I bough a small CUC from reefcleaners.org and a tuxedo urchin, 2 black Ocelaris (sp) clowns and 3 Royal Grammas from LiveAquaria / Divers Den. Tank finished cycling and has been maturing as the new fish and CUC went into QT.

I am using the TTM method of QT, followed by 3 -4 weeks in another, larger QT tank where I treat PraziPro and chloroquine phosphate.

I had one Gramma that came in looking rough and only made it 3 days. Still pretty when out of water...

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I also had time to hook up a new Algae Scrubber that i got from algaescrubbing.com built by ReefCentral's very own Flloyd (resident acrylic expert). Built well and ran perfect out of the box. I will update as to the algae building ability as it breaks in.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ya man wow your system is sexy sexy and looks immaculately clean and detailed! Great work, I look forward to seeing it officially stocked up !!!

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
While hooking up the DoS unit, I got frustrated with the wire mess that was in that little box I made under the stand. It just wasn't working for me. Too much trying to happen in too small an area.

To solve it, I decided to make an electronics cabinet. It will sit flush with the drywall when complete and will have tinted glass (or most likely bronze acrylic) inset into 3 cabinet doors that will display the electronics. The doors will be stained in some way to match...

One of the things that needed to happen anyways was the removal of the remaining wall structure:

Then, I built the cabinet and setup all of the electronic components.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Nice and Clean, that looks great.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was doing a small water change on the QT (really just to clean it up) and I noticed that the WC water was much warmer than the main DT. I had been using Apex to manage the temp on the DT. After checking it with three different sources, it looks like the DT is almost 5 degrees cooler (reporting 80 but really 75 degrees) than the apex says it was.

Perhaps I missed the calibration instructions on the probe and never did it, or it got that far off in 2 months, but jeeze! I am going to get another backup temp probe to use as well.

Just an FYI for all of you Apex owners!

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
I had to replace my first temp probe as well for the same reason. I have three hooked up to the apex now and all three work within .1 degree.