Shawn's 175g Peninsula Build

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;345699 said:
Looking good. Once you have everything finished and have done your first crack at your code, post it here and I will work my magic on it.
Thanks - I appreciate it. I already added a speaker onto the Apex to increase the alarm volume. Of course problem rarely occur when you are home...

[video=youtube_share;bzgNJc4ak2w]http://youtu.be/bzgNJc4ak2w[/video]

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;345712 said:
Very clever. Anything else like this wired into the apex?
The only other interesting things that I am using are the solenoids to control flow. There are going to be 6 in all:

1. RODI Fill. When Fresh water tank Lo switch is ON, Solenoid opens to allow in water. When Fresh Water tank Hi switch is ON, solenoid closes.
2. Apex DoS Water change - A solenoid for both water in and water out will be used so that line is only open when pump is running. This is to avoid pump failure which could allow siphon situation
3. Apex DoS Alk and Calc dosing - same thing
4. Automatic Top Off - The freshwater tank feeds the sump via a Kent float valve. Should the valve leak or fail open and the sump fill, a Hi level switch in the sump will close a solenoid on the feed line.

The ATO solenoid is the most interesting, as I could not find a Normally Open solenoid with 1/4" NPT or John Gust fitting. Only thing I could find was 1/2" MPT 12 volt. It should work fine, but looks like a beast with all of the plumbing adapters to get it to use my fittings.

Shawn

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;345715 said:
What kind of livestock you plan on getting for this beast!?
I haven't really put together a stock list yet. Nothing too out of the ordinary. The clean up crew will be made up of mostly Cerith and Nassarius snails and Tuxedo Urchins - no crabs or sea cucumbers. Probably a couple of cleaner shrimp.

Fish and CUC will start their QT right after Spring Break. I think I will start with a Royal Gamma and a pair of Ocellaris Clowns. Eventually there will be a Purple Tang after all of the peaceful fish are in the tank. Other than that, my kids choose the inhabitants as long as they are compatible and don't eat SPS, lol.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;345718 said:
2. Apex DoS Water change - A solenoid for both water in and water out will be used so that line is only open when pump is running. This is to avoid pump failure which could allow siphon situation
3. Apex DoS Alk and Calc dosing - same thing
Quick gotcha you need to be aware of. When you use the DOS wizard, you are unable to determine ON vs OFF of the pump heads to relate the solenoids to it (hopefully this will be fixed in a future firmware release). The only way it can be done is if you use OSC and profiles to code the DOS heads. When you do it that way, there are definitive ON and OFF states that you can use for the solenoid coding.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok thx! Are there any disadvantages to programming the DOS that way? I will probably hit you up for some guidance when I get to that point.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its just harder to code since you have to do the calculations yourself instead of having the wizard do them for you. The end product will be the same with the added benefit of being able to determine ON vs OFF states.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
lpsouth1978;345830 said:
Shawn, the tank is looking good! Just out of curiosity, what are you doing for the lights?
Thanks - I have my old DIY LED's that I had made from the last tank I am using. I remember that they cost a fortune to build back then compared to what you can buy retail for now, but that's the biz. They are going to be way over powered as I had them for a 30" depth vs. 24" on this tank, but I will just let the Apex adjust them down.

The lights themselves are just Cree's mounted on huge heat sinks. My plan is to create a 1" x 2" frame to hold them and then wrap that in a slightly patina copper. Wires will all be hidden in a single pipe that also suspends the unit from the ceiling. Sort of an industrial look. Not sure if it will come together as I have it pictured, but we'll see.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Woke up to a nice little flood this morning. I bought a few Kent Marine float valves. The one used in my freshwater holding tank was supposed to be a backup in case the upper float switch failed and left the water on. Unfortunately, the compression nuts that came with them are all crap. The tubing actually wiggled it's way out of the nut and onto the floor. Water founds its way to my access hole in the floor I made and, well, let's just say that my basement ceiling was dripping water when I checked it out.

Bleh...

I replaced the nut with one from a spare RO unit and it cleared that up.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
szavoda;345884 said:
Thanks - I have my old DIY LED's that I had made from the last tank I am using. I remember that they cost a fortune to build back then compared to what you can buy retail for now, but that's the biz. They are going to be way over powered as I had them for a 30" depth vs. 24" on this tank, but I will just let the Apex adjust them down.

The lights themselves are just Cree's mounted on huge heat sinks. My plan is to create a 1" x 2" frame to hold them and then wrap that in a slightly patina copper. Wires will all be hidden in a single pipe that also suspends the unit from the ceiling. Sort of an industrial look. Not sure if it will come together as I have it pictured, but we'll see.
Nice. We are planning a HUGE LED build for the 300. I will post a build thread once it starts, but the plan is to use around 400 LED's. They will include the full gamut of the colors available. Right now we are planning on using cool white, warm white, neutral white, royal blue, blue, cyan, 620-630nm red, 650-670nm deep red, 720-730nm far red, 400-410nm UV, and 410-420 violet. We are currently planning on 5 dimmable channels - white, blue, red, cyan, and UV/Violet. It is going to be a HUGE undertaking, but is far from my first LED build.

I am sorry to hear about the flood. Hopefully it didn't do too much damage before you found the problem and came up with the solution.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That sounds awesome - and expensive :). I think I caught the flood before too much was affected. Go figure that this is right after I upgraded all of the RODI components and the unit is putting out more volume than ever.