Showing off my hanging hood!!!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys!!
MSwift;170770 said:
THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!

You dont have any build pictures for a DIY do you?
Unfortunately I don't... I forgot to take pictures. But I just built a frame from 2x2 wood and put 3/4 by 8 cedar around it. Hinged the front to open and added a handle. 12 feet of chain, 4 eye hooks and 4 50lbs hangar kits all from home depot. And then primed and painted with a rattle can.
Lights are: 1x aquaufo 90 watt 12k (center) 1x 120 watt EVO 20k (left) 1x Chinese group buy 120watt 20k (right) 2x 54 watt t5HO (front and rear) experimenting with t5 colors. Right now a geisman blue+ and a geisman pure actinic.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I hung mine I used coated wire rope and pulleys from Lowes, and some beefy toggle bolts. What I like is I can pull on the center of the rope and lift the whole hood.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;170960 said:
Have you experimented with different cables/chains, in order to make them less visible?

Sent using Forum Runner
No, I like the industrial look... But there are several options. The only other thought I had was to use a solid mount (kinda like how you would mount a ceiling fan on a really high ceiling, with a pipe...) but in the end I decided against that (ie. the wife didn't like that idea!)

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
RefferMatt;170962 said:
When I hung mine I used coated wire rope and pulleys from Lowes, and some beefy toggle bolts. What I like is I can pull on the center of the rope and lift the whole hood.
That's actually one of the ideas I have for the future!!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats similar to how my planted setup's fixture is hanging...I got some ratcheting pullies and 1/4" rope so that I can adjust the height during maintenance. They are rated at 150lbs each...but I wouldn't dare come close ;)

Excellent job on the hood...I'm digging the look.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;170970 said:
How's the light spill? I was going to do a regular canopy, but this one looks really good

Sent using Forum Runner
Light spill is much better than just having the lights hanging. That was the primary reason for the build. View attachment 7357
Here's a pic of the lights just hanging with nothing else and you can see a lot of spill over around the tank.