Sick Puffer i need help asap!!!

i went out of town for the past couple days i just got back today and my puffer is just laying there... i checked all my levels everything is ok but for my salinity levels are high 1.026. I'm thinking this is whats causing my puffer to be acting weird. what should i do to help him

he's in a 14 tank right now i just added some RO water to try and bring down the salt levels a little i didn't want to bring them down to fast and hurt him more.
I also have a 70g that he could go into.

so i guess I'm asking how should i help him

Hes a stars and strips puffer. he's about 2 inches long. i have a damsel in the tank with him and the damsel is swimming around just fine.

You said he is in a 14 gallon? If the salinity changed rapidly it can shock him. Is he emaciated? Does he have any signs of parasites? Has he been eating ok? What do you feed him?

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Was someone fish sitting for you?

my wife was tank sitting and she was topping off the tank with saltwater from Elite Reef.
he eats frozen clams, frozen brine shrimp and sometimes live snails he ate yesterday and once this morning
he hasent looked sick and i dont see any parasites.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

If she was topping off with saltwater that could be your problem for sure what level is the fish used to?

my wife said he's been fine until yesterday and he was just lazy yesterday and wasn't swimming around much now today he's just laying there.
and he's in my 14 because we moved 2 weeks ago and i just got my 70 setup this past weekend so we had him hanging out in the 14 till my 70 got back together for him

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

What level of salinity is it used to?

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

I would slowly lower it I think you would be ok get it back to that level in an hour or so it just like acclimating a fish from the store just pull water out and just add RO till you are where it used to be cause when you get fish from the store they are coming from all different levels.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Have you tried feeding does it show and interest?

i put a frozen clam in front of him. he doesn't care about it at all. earlier we really couldn't see him breathing but now he looks like hes breathing heavier

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Are you still lowering your salinity level?

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

There's really no telling what is causing it without signs, I would just try to get the tank back to normal and see how it acts then, but I wouldn't move it, probably could not deal with the stress.

yeah i've been lowering it over the last 2 hours. I just cheacked the levels its at a 1.024 lol he just finally started swimming around a little. its the first time he's moved in 3 hours

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Cool looks like that was the issue I would keep the salinity there or lower it just a hair an then leave it alone for the evening so it doesn't add any stress.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Hope he pulls through good luck!