Sick Puffer i need help asap!!!

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sick Puffer i need help asap!!!

You were already doing the right thing I was just here for support : )

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you stuck rock in there recently, I would check for ammonia and nitrites. It's possible there is some re-cycling, that could be a big issue for a puffer. They don't do well with disease or bad water quality. You could post your exact levels if you want people to chime in on whether there cold be other issues (ph, temp), and also make sure there isn't a stray current in the water.

Ruling all that out, I suggest you watch for a few days before doing anything else. My (porc) puffer can lay on the sandbed all day some days, other days he's up in everyone's grill. If yours goes a day or more without food, that is definitely not good. I wouldn't worry about it otherwise, as long as you don't see anything external (white dots, slime coat problem, flukes, etc).

Update My Puffer "Bob" made it thru the night.
He ate some brine shrimp and a little frozen clam.
My wife said he's been swimming around today and kinda rubbing against the rock and in the sand.

@Dave Thank you I'll test the water tonight and post the results

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
What do you mean by rubbing? Too much rubbing may not be normal. He may have an external parasite, infection, etc. He could be rubbing due to a gill parasite (ich etc).

I would google "wetwebmedia marine disease", and do some research there. Also maybe look at the puffer info on that site.

You're welcome! Good sign that he ate today. It all could have been the salinity changes, so I wouldn't do anything else drastic as the others said.