Starting my rimless shallow reef

Finally getting back into the hobby. I had the guys at Fluiddesigns build me a custom 6 foot long, 18 inch tall rimless shallow reef. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Here are some pics of the progress.

Kids in the tank
View attachment 22162

Stand chalk painted and distressed
View attachment 22163

Tank lifted (forgot how heavy glass tanks are), and starting assembly of the 80/20 light rack:

View attachment 22164

ROck sand and water starting to go in (100 lbs from marco rocks)
View attachment 22165

Another shot with the lights
View attachment 22166

The tank has been up and running for about 2 weeks now. About a week ago I added another 25 lbs of live rock to kick off the cycle. In a few days I have some macro algae coming for the refugium. Can't believe it is all coming together!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looks great, sexy setup, although those light look like they could use to be pushed in a bit closer together

SynDen;335881 said:
Looks great, sexy setup, although those light look like they could use to be pushed in a bit closer together
I'll get an updated pic up. I ended up adding a pair of cross members to the setup which allowed me to move the lights left and right. They are now properly spaced apart :)

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice work. I dig the shallow reef tanks. Subscribed!

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Starfire or no? How many gallons it turn out to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
As you can see in this pic, I was able to get my lighting corrected. I also added a pair (one at each end) of wp-25 jebao wavemakers. I'm seriously impressed with these, especially for the price. Even with a 6 foot tank and a small power head, I am seeing a 1 inch + wave across the tank when set to mode W1.

[attachment=68275:name]

I need to post some better detail shots of the sump during the day, but here is a quick one anyway. Got some lighting over the refugium and picked up a variety of macro algae today.

[attachment=68276:name]

Excuse the cloudy water. I redid my aquascape tonight. When I started out, I basically had a rock wall against the back glass. I decided that I wanted to have more swimming area for the fish, and no rocks against any sides so I can keep the side and back glass clean as well as the front. This also seems like it will be better for overall flow. What do you guys think? Anything you would change? I'm getting my parameters in line, so once the tank matures a bit I can add some sps colonies.