Sump / fuge question

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
So Im not currently using a calcium reactor, instead Im dosing and staying on top of water changes which seems to keep the calcium / alk pretty stable. For about the past 2 weeks I have contimplated getting a reactor hooked uo to ease the amount of time Im spending mainting the tank, and money as well.
This raises a question. I have a completley empty baffle in my sump / fuge that currently only has water flowing through it. I was thinking about just filling this compartment with some type of argonite or crushed coral in hopes it would provide the same basic effect as a reactor. Ive seen other set ups where one or more of the baffles is filled with some type of argonite or crushed coral, but I wasnt sure if this was just for added filtration or if it actually accomplished the same affect as a reactor would, the idea seems to be the same.
Has anyone done this or heard of this being done, and if so what were the results? Im on the "if it aint broke dont fix it" kick right now, but I know that could bite me in the A** in the future.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The problem is to make the substance work (better), you need really acidic water to break down the crushed coral hence the co2. I had a 20 gal area of my tank sump filled about 5" with crushed coral... It did nothing but collect Detrus.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
That was my concern. Thanks Jack, guess Ill have to go with a reactor after all.