The build thread: 430gal. display

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, man, but I ran across a tiny B&W just the other day and brought him home. They seem pretty psyched with each other.

I know the files are under different lights, but don't the colors look so much better? I mean even beyond the fat ol' bellies. The male was doing some cool displays tonight! It was actually just like this video (it's just 20 seconds) of Matt's fish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnPdrQVUWM

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey! Looks like the orchid dottybacks might have spawned!!!

It was a long process of shaky-shaky dances and "Follow me! No? Follow me now?" games. But now the male's very territorial over his cave and the female's only getting to hang out close by.

And the female:

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Still fighting heat issues in the display. Ran most of the evening with only one light, the canopy doors open, and a Vornado blowing on the tank. Maybe the algae will die. I've set up a meeting with the company that came up with the exhaust fan idea to find something that moves more air.

In the meantime, the dottys seem to still be playing the spawning game, but I've seen no egg masses yet.

Downstairs, there a load of spawning going on. I've counted 49 of these egg packets, possibly from RSF (formally DIBS) nassarius.

And a new egg mass tonight, maybe cerith:

Along with a whole bunch of ciliates(?):

That last photo at around 200%:

As you can see, the eggs have started dividing, but haven't hit blastula (roughly 128 cells) stage yet.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey, Bush told me to go out there and spend more. It's my patriotic duty. Of course, we all see how well that worked. :)

Edit: Sorry, hair algae. I'm going to herbivore the heck out of it.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, I caught one of the ceriths at it tonight:

And, further development on the mystery eggs. They have become asymmetrical and are moving around the egg cases like crazy. I haven't seen any empty egg cases yet:

And, in other news, the female Orchid Dottyback is finally thin and begging for food. The male only leaves his hole to chase her away!! :)

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool, congratulations! I hope they give you many babies.

I believe the orchids spawned. I've taken a bunch of photos but never got the egg ball in focus (can't see back there 'til the flash fires). So, I can't be certain.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Actually, I've tried but I don't want to do it too much. I've heard that bright lights inhibit egg development.

The purple tangs finally got new yellow buddies today. Boy, are they happy....

A FTS:

And the snail photo of the day:

Looks like they might actually be running around on a little foot!

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The photos I took of this same egg case tonight didn't come out, unfortunately. But, while shooting I found and photographed an egg case that looks 1-2 days ahead on the development. _Those_ photos were fine.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
In today's photos, I changed the lens and flash in order to get even closer close-ups.

So, the egg case:

And a close-up of one of the snails:

The ceriths seem to be coming along as well:

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are absolutely gorgeous animals. I took another with a little different lighting and a little more magnification. Ron Shimek says they'll be out of the egg case soon!

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andy,
can you give a size estimate of these little guys. I thought they might be nassarius, but they look a little different. Maybe you have some DIBS turbos (I hope).

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jonathan seems to think that they are either Nerite or Collumbellid. Size? I'd say somewhere between .5 and 1 mm. That's a big difference, I know, but they are small. :) As you can see, though, the Ceriths are relatively much, much smaller. In the set before last, I think the first photo of the mysteries and the last of the ceriths are at the same magnification.