Thinking about changing RO membranes

SeaMonkey

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I currently have a 90 gpd RO system from spectrapure and need to change out the current RO membrane. I also want to add on a second RO membrane on the waste water line from the first RO membrane. What brand is everyone using. I looked at just reordering from Spectrapure or using one from BRS instead. The BRS ones cost way less but not sure if they are as good as Spectrapure. What are everyones thoughts? Also what DI resin is everyone using? Thanks!

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I just order everything from BRS. I added their 75 gpd water saver upgrade kit upgrade kit and it works well. I guess I just assumed with the carbon blocks, sediment filters, and the DI resins were all really similar to each other in terms of cheap vs. expensive. They all get the TDS to 0 which is all I care about, so I just buy the cheapest available at the time I'm ordering regardless of brand.

SeaMonkey

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats what I was debating doing as well since Spectrapure is a lot more money and I am not sure if you get enough extra life to make up for the price.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I think most membranes are pretty much exactly the same, so if the cheaper one will work fine. The only thing I look at for membranes if the GPD it does, and rejection rate too. If those match up then your golden.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
From what I understand the majority of membranes are all made by Dow and then rebranded and sold as whatever marked up aquarium brand you may want.