What are my clowns doing?

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
My blizzard clowns have been acting strange lately and have been obsessed with this one specific area of rock. Today they have been biting at it as if they are cleaning it and then rubbing their bellies across the rock. They are flipping completely upside down to do so. Wondering if they are prepping the area for eggs? I've personally never had a pair do this so I'm curious.

Thanks!

https://vimeo.com/136007372

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hard to see but the female has this small tube coming out of where she usually poops. Is that used for placement of the eggs?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya they will do this for a time before mating, how long depends on the pair though. Some like my pair have done it off and on for a year, to onc specific spot on a rock but have yet to actually do the deed, others may do it much faster though. You'll know when you have eggs though. If this is their first clutch they likely will eat the eggs

Last edited by a moderator:

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well she is definitely laying eggs right now but immediately eats them. I've heard this happens when they feel threatened or the eggs aren't "safe" to leave... Correct?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
It also happens with new pairs. almost all pairs will eat the first few clutches, it will take them quite a few attempts before one hatches. No ones know for sure the exact reason for this, but likely its from the pairs inexperience and takes them a few tries to get them laid correctly. Practice makes perfect in other words. But still awesome to watch one way or another!!!

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea I'm not upset about it since I have no way to raise them. It's just awesome to see something like that happening in my tank.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well the clowns spawned again but didn't eat the eggs this time! Pretty cool to see this happen in my tank.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
nice, they are making progress!