11 gal nano reserected - IT'S ALIVE - AGAIN!

space

Butterfly Fish
Thanks again to Heather at Elite for the help today. Can't wait to start putting something in my tank but don't want to kill anything either. Nitrates were really high so my cycle is about done. Keeping the light off for the time being.

space

Butterfly Fish
So I think my cycle is about over. But I have a question, has anyone ever done a Sump/refugium on a small tank like this? I don't want to drill anything but since I have a HOB skimmer, I thought I could put something small in the stand and it would give me more water volume. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
I just put a hob overflow to a small fuge on a biocube 29. Not as small as yours buy similar i guess. I really like it. it helps to keep the water much more stable. and gives room for stuff like auto top off and better skimmers or heaters! worth the money in my opinion.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Adding a 5 gal sump to that little tank would be adding about 30% water volume. Never a bad thing there. Bigger=more stable.

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
Here are the photos:

In this picture you can see the HOB overflow on the back of the tank. You can also see the aqua lifter and the airline tubing I use for it to keep the siphon going.

In this one you can see the HOB overflow from the inside of the tank.

This is a picture of the fuge with the small skimmer compartment next to it.

This is a picture with the light turned on. The aqua lifter in this picture is one I use as an auto top off.

A closer up picture of the skimmer.

space

Butterfly Fish
So I just got some tests kits and thought I would see where things are. Suggestions?

Red Sea Pro Foundation
Alk - 5.9
Mag - 1340
Ca - 360

Sulifert
PO4 - 0.1-0.25 (kinda between)

Thanks.

space

Butterfly Fish
Great thanks Steve!! Also, there is film on the top of my water that left a reside on the glass container I put my tank water in to use it for testing. Any idea what it is or better how to get rid of it?

Dracx

Cleaner Shrimp
I don't see a surface skimmer on your filtration setup. Various organics in the water (fish waste, broken-down food, live rock die-off, human hands in the water, etc) get trapped at the tank water surface forming a "protein skin". Overflow boxes, integrated filtration systems and special filtration attachments are designed to pull this skin off the surface and put it through the filtration system. My hang-on skimmer has an attachment that does this.

It is very important to remove this skin as the tank water surface is where a large portion of your tank's oxygen exchange occurs. Lowered oxygen levels can really stress your fish. Having your filtration outlet or one of your circulation pumps set to agitate the water surface can help disperse the protein skin and improve oxygen exchange by increasing the water surface area.

Hope that helps.

space

Butterfly Fish
Tested water again and here is what I got.
Ca-365
Alk-9.8
Mag-1280
Phos - 0.03
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - .2
Nitrite - 0.0
pH 8.2

Looking good I think.

space

Butterfly Fish
HELP!!!!! I've got a cyno outbreak on my sand and some on my rock. Brown algae right?? Thoughts? I forgot how to take care of this.

Dracx

Cleaner Shrimp
Cyanobacteria is the "red algae" and indicates you need to make corrections to your water chemistry. The "brown algae" (Diatom), usually visible on your sand, is a normal symptom of establishing your nitrogen cycle. It's nothing to worry about and should go away soon enough with no hassle. If either gets out of control then measure can be taken to get rid of them. And, technically, neither of them are algae, but that's what they're known as.