11 gal nano reserected - IT'S ALIVE - AGAIN!

space

Butterfly Fish
Well, I know most don't know me but I am finally getting my tank back up. It has been sitting dry and open for almost 2 years. First, thanks to the guys at Elite Reef for all of the help yesterday. It was great meeting you and I will be back.

So I have all of my pumps and HOB skimmer sitting in a vinegar/RODI solution. Any idea how long they should sit?

My rock is crusted with salt so I will take that out back and scrub it. I have some extra sand from when I started the unit, so I am going to pull out about an 1" to 1 1/2" and dump that since it has dirt/hair/crud on it. Then replace it with some new.

I figured and Elite confirmed, it would take about 2 months to cycle. In the meantime I am going to make a list of what I want to have in it. I'll also be replacing my HQI bulb not knowing how old it is soon.

I bought Seachem's Aquivitro salt mix so I can give my own feedback. Also, a new 6 stage dual TDS meter, RO/DI unit is on it's way and should be here Wednesday.

Here is a pic of before I started cleaning it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

space

Butterfly Fish
Will do. I always like the before and after pics anyway.

Any idea about how long the hardware should sit in the vinegar/water solution?

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
space;117077 said:
Depends on the the potency of the solution. When I do 1:1, I let it sit overnight...so like 12 hours. Never had an issue with cleaning afterward so it could probably take less time. I've done straight vinegar for around 2 hours on some powerheads, cleaned up beautifully.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
space;117077 said:
Depends on the the potency of the solution. When I do 1:1, I let it sit overnight...so like 12 hours. Never had an issue with cleaning afterward so it could probably take less time. I've done straight vinegar for around 2 hours on some powerheads, cleaned up beautifully.

space

Butterfly Fish
SOOOOO, I can't remember if I don't do a water change till the cycle starts or if I still do weekly water changes. Anyone?

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
let it sit with no water changes for the cycle. it would also be a good idea to leave the lights off for this time also so that once the cycle starts it will minimize the algae and after a few weeks to a large water change let it sit for another day or so and then check the parameters to see where your at.

space

Butterfly Fish
Anyone in the Thornton/Northglenn/Westminster area that would be willing to part with a very, very small piece of rock or frag plug that's been in a system for a long time???? Trying to get the tank cycle process some help since my rock was dry and sand is new.

Dracx

Cleaner Shrimp
It's about time for me to change the filter on my BioCube 8. That would give you all kinds of bacteria and organic material for it to feed on. You could also have a few bioballs out of it if you like.

space

Butterfly Fish
Anyone ever mounted their RO/DI unit on the wall? If so what did you use? Mine is a 6 stage so I am a little worried about weight.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I mounted mine to the wall with the anchors you use to hang tv's.

They are rated at 100lbs per anchor, they come either as plastic or metal and cut about a 1/2 inch hole into the drywall. Ill see if I can find a link

http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_107314-73628-367R_0__?productId=3006324&Ntt=expanding+wall+anchor&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dexpanding%2Bwall%2Banchor%26page%3D5&facetInfo=

Similar to these