12g JBJ Nano Cube DX

Bouncer

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I recently converted my 12g JBJ Nano Cube DX from freshwater to saltwater. I updated the pumps and added a few things; Maxi-Jet 900 pump, Hydor-Flo water deflector, Koralina Nano 240, Rena 50w heater. I picked up some live sand and rock from my LFS and started things up. After three days my tank is looking pretty good; 8.1 ph, 1.024 salinity, 0.0 ppm ammonia, 0.0 ppm nitrites, 0.0 ppm nitrates and a 79° temp. I am thinking of adding a few inhabitants this week and look forward to collecting a few corals as time rolls on, so far its been fun.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the site. There is a wealth of knowledge pumping through this place so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Before you add any thing to your tank you should wait until you your tank cycles. Even with the live sand and rock it can take a few weeks. Once that happens you can add a cheap hardly fish, like a damsel and then once it has been in there a few days you can either keep him or trade it in to your LFS. Then add your CUC...

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! I like all the hiding places in your rock.

KhensuRa;138228 said:
Welcome to the site. There is a wealth of knowledge pumping through this place so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Before you add any thing to your tank you should wait until you your tank cycles. Even with the live sand and rock it can take a few weeks. Once that happens you can add a cheap hardly fish, like a damsel and then once it has been in there a few days you can either keep him or trade it in to your LFS. Then add your CUC...
+1, wait for your cycle. If you have good rock, it'll only last a little bit. An ammonia spike is usually indicative that your cycle has started, without it your cycle may not have started. Try feeding the tank and see what your params do. Patience is the hardest thing apart starting this hobby, this coming from the guy that was an idiot the first cycle and had to do it right the second time :wall:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bouncer

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
The live rock I purchased was very cured from a LFS. All I have for filtering is a bit of filter floss, which I plan on discarding after I figure out if the live rock is where I want it. As far as "feeding" the tank, do I simple put a few pellets of food in the tank and let it set for a while?

Bouncer

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Still no changes to the tank's chemistry. There is a bit of algae just beginning to develop on the sand. There also is a slight growth on the live rock. As my six year old states "waiting stinks", I agree.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I knew the first weeks where going to be hell on me so I left for Mexico :). I came back to a fully cycled tank. I would give it just a bit...But on the other hand if money is burning a hole in your pocket give it to me mine are ice cold lol

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What you can do is toss in a chunk of shrimp or some frozen food.

Bouncer

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright, it has been a week since I set up my little tank. I let the tank set for three days and tested the parameters, everything looks pretty good. My son and I have made a ritual of testing the water and the tests have remained consistent. 79° to 81°, 8.1 ph, 1.024 salinity, 0.0 ppm ammonia, 0.0 ppm nitrates and 0.0 ppm nitrites. There is both brown and long green algae lightly growing on the live rock and live sand. Plus there is a bit of bubble algae on one of the live rocks. Maybe it is because it is a snow day and I am bored, but I was thinking of adding a couple inhabitants. In all of the experience on this board, what do you think? I am not going to go crazy, just an emerald crab and maybe an astraea snail or two.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would avoid the astraea snails, simply because they can't right themselves. I say, add some stuff! Pick up a few snails and a tester coral or two, denvercherub is giving away gsp right now.

You might want to err on the side of caution and hold off on the emerald in case you aren't ready, expensive crab I think.

Pick up some acclimation stuff if you haven't already, don't dip your inverts (learned that from experience)

Bouncer

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the information. If the Mini can get out of the garage I might head to my LFS and pick up a few things this afternoon. I am still not completely certain what kind of corals I want to have, any advice would be great. I am looking forward to the Feb. meeting and making some connections.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Take a look at build threads, the end part where you see the corals, vendors, other sites just to see what you like. The point is just to see what's out there. A good eyecandy site is Reef2Reef, RC is also good but expect to nerd out while you're there.

Bouncer

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I added two small scarlet hermit crabs, a margarita snail and a nassarius snail this afternoon. The crabs and the margarita immediately went to work on the algae, while the nassarius buried itself in the sand. I look forward to finding a few frags to place in the tank sometime this next week.

Bouncer

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I too replaced the stock with a Maxi-Jet 900 and added a Hydor Koralia Nano. I have a ton of water flow.

Bouncer

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Maxi-Jet 900 is made by Marineland. It is capable of 247gph, super quiet.

Bouncer

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a bit of algae on the rocks and a bit of bubble algae. I went tot Elite Reef and brought home an emerald crab and a few more snails. I also have turned the lights to only the moonlight LEDs for a few days to keep the algae from getting too bad. I think I will let things settle for the week, test the water frequently and let the crew do its work.