72 bowfront build

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I figured I would post what I have of my build, I didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked, but oh well. I got a used tank from craigslist (gasp!) and it turned out to be one of the best decisions in the hobby because it introduced me to one of the people from this forum, and therefore directed me here. I also got a sweet deal.
View attachment 3492 View attachment 3495
I bought live rock from someone on the forum too. Also great, not just because it was way cheaper, but because my cycle literally lasted one week. My ammonia spiked all the way to 0.25 ppm! It also came with some corals attached (mostly zoas and softies, but there's a nice pink digi growing out of a stub left on one piece).

View attachment 3494

I knew that I wanted a sand-sifting goby, so I did all of my rockwork straight on the glass (carefully), so that I could hopefully minimize him crushing himself when the time came. I also knew that I didn't want a typical pile o' rocks in the middle so I went for more of an "M" shape. View attachment 3493

Will post more about plumbing/ new corals next!

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Metalsniper;123917 said:
Who is that attractive man in the third photo? :cigar:
Nope not me I was not there...... :) Sorry you must be confused !

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So my tank is almost three months old (aww still a baby), but here's some more pictures and some early progression shots for my corals.

My sump/fuge setup was really diy and piecemeal; the shape of the bowfront stand doesn't allow for a really big tank, so we are using a 20 g tall tank as the sump, and a separate 5 g hex aquarium for the fuge. I like this setup because it allows me to control the amount of flow that the fuge is getting.
[attachment=60391:name]
We're growing three types of macro in the fuge, and it seems to be doing a pretty great job keeping my nitrates and phosphates low.

We also just got a ReefKeeper Lite controller, we only have the temperature probe set up so far but I know I will always get a controller for my tanks in the future. I like the piece of mind of the secondary checks on the thermometer, and it has reduced my temperature swings from 2-3 degrees/day to only about .5-1. [attachment=60392:name]
The plan is to set up the ATO module as soon as we get a container plumbed, hopefully this weekend.

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Even better, here a few pics of corals that I have growing, and how they have changed in the past few months. Most of them are from the DBTC.

First is my cute little green birdsnest; the first is right after the DBTC meet, the second was the beginning of December, and the third is post emergency surgery where we had to amputate an arm because my leptoseris stung the crap out of it and it was starting to spread down the branch.
[attachment=60395:name]

My rainbow pocillipora, also from DBTC.
[attachment=60397:name]

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Finally, here's an FTS (we've changed the rockwork a little since this picture) and the current residents of my tank. I didn't want to add too much here near the end of the year since we're doing some travelling, so we are waiting till new years for new additions so we have fewer fishies to worry about while we're gone. [attachment=60399:name]

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
SteveT;129659 said:
Tank looks great. I think that's my birds nest! That little bugger grows like crazy.
In that case, thanks! It's one of my favorite corals because it grows so fast and is so happy. Makes me feel like I'm doing ok as an amateur reefkeeper!

Beautiful, love the scaping!!

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
kmcmurtry;129682 said:
Beautiful, love the scaping!!
Agreed, nice arches.

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I figured I would get on here and update for Erika just for good measure, so without further ado here are some new and old photos.

Green Birds nest
October 2011

March 2012

Rainbow Pocci
October 2011

March 2012

Ponape Birds nest
October 2011

March 2012

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks good. Great growth on those SPS as well.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk