Breeding Journal: Cerithium altratum

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Cerithium altratum
Social Structure:Unknown
Size of Individuals:1”
Age of Individuals: Unknown
Date added to Tank: September 21, 2010

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 120gal
Substrate Details: Aragonite, crushed coral
Filtration Details: 55gal sump, AquaC EV180 Skimmer, cheato, 4” sand bed
Water Changes: 20 gal every 2 weeks
Water Temperature: 79-80.9
Lighting: 2x 400w MH Hamilton 14000K bulbs, 1x55w 10000k PC, 1x96w Actinic PC, 17w 10000K in sump
Lighting Cycle: Main tank 0700-1220, sump light 1220-0700
Other Tank Inhabitants: 3xAmphiprion percula, 3xChromis viridi
Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: PE Mysis, SF Reef Plankton, SF Cyclops, SF Daphnia, Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 flakes, Spiralina flakes
Feeding Schedule: One frozen, one flake every 2 days. In the morning and in the evening

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: September 22, 2010
Spawn Time of Day: 2130
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: Septeber 23, 24, 25
Courtship Details: Unknown
Egg Size: Unknown
Egg Color: White
Egg Count:Unknown

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: around Sept 26 to Sept 28
Hatch Time of Day:Did not witness
# Days after Spawn: 5-7
Larvae Description: white when first spotted, starting to get greyish color on shell

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Larval Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:
Days after Hatch:
Date of Settlement End:
Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer:

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information: The night after I added Cerithium altratum to the display tank I started noticing ribbon formations on my glass. After closer examinations it was determined that it was the eggs of Cerithium altratum. When I first spotted the snail larvae it was a few days after hatching, because I was convinced that a combination of amphipods, bacteria, and adult snails had destroyed the eggs. I now see two different types of snails that hatched.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
yes, they are in the display tank

Does anyone have a camera I can borrow? The majority of the eggs hatched and now I have a bunch of baby cerith snails roaming around, I need a camera so I can take a pictures to submit a hatch report.

Do other snails eat the eggs? I say they hatched because the majority of the eggs are "vacant" now and I'm wondering if something might be eating them also. could I gather eggs and grow them out in a separate tank?

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;50535 said:
yes, they are in the display tank

Does anyone have a camera I can borrow? The majority of the eggs hatched and now I have a bunch of baby cerith snails roaming around, I need a camera so I can take a pictures to submit a hatch report.

Do other snails eat the eggs? I say they hatched because the majority of the eggs are "vacant" now and I'm wondering if something might be eating them also. could I gather eggs and grow them out in a separate tank?

What are you doing tomorrow morning? I can swing by and take some pictures for you if you would like.