Cindy's 125 becomes a 180

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
When Michael (majicmike) and Austin (xjmav) came over to deal with the horrible disaster that was my 125 'system', for lack of a better word, they built something incredible. The 55gal fuge under the tank that I couldn't get to became a 150gal horse trough sump in the basement fish room. Easy to get to, and quiet. Electrical nightmare became neat and tidy collection of zip tied cords and outlets that were labelled.

"A bigger tank would look great right there," they said.
"You should get a reef ready tank," they said.
"It would be so easy to do," they said.
"You know you want it," they said.

"I'm not upgrading," I said.
"No way," I said.
"Too much work," I said.
"Are you crazy?" I said.

SO, I'm upgrading...

The horse trough sump reproduces asexually, I discovered. Mine popped out a new one almost overnight. Michael bought a 2nd Reeflo Hammerhead pump as a backup, you know, just in case. Reactors sprouted on the wall. My skimmer apparently took steroids, because it's enormous now. Shelly (rlklassy) helped us paint the fish room, because that nasty, messy patchwork of old white, creme, and sky blue did NOT fit the fancy system that Michael is creating down there. There's still one corner to paint, behind the salt mixing barrel & the RO storage barrel, but that'll happen today, probably. I got 3 new AI Sol Blues to replace my existing MH and CFL fixture (hooray for a lower electrical bill). I got the tank, stand and a few tubs of misc gear from a guy on Craigslist. The tank is a standard 180 footprint, painted black on the sides and overflow corners. Martin (martinsreef) helped us resilicone the front corners of it with black silicone. The stand is a very sturdy 2x4 stand that will get reskinned.

One of the tanks I almost bought had a foam rock wall background. I had no idea such a thing was possible, so I jumped on the interwebs and watched educational videos by nerdy guys on how to build it. I got that most of the way done last night, and will finish it today.

Anyhow, I'll zip it and post pics now for you photo addicts. Hopefully Michael will chip in with the techy details for those of you interested in that sort of thing.

View attachment 11962 View attachment 11963 View attachment 11964 View attachment 11965 View attachment 11966 View attachment 11967 View attachment 11968 View attachment 11969 View attachment 11970 View attachment 11971 View attachment 11972

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Cindy's 125 becomes a 180

looks great!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
The rock wall will be heavily siliconed to the back glass. There are 3 reasons for that- to keep it from floating, to keep fish/inverts from getting behind it, and to prevent dead spots from developing.

Patience, grasshopper! Pretty soon I'll post pics of the rock wall, if I can get back down there and finish it up. We had to stop in the middle because 4 tubes of the silicone we're using to adhere sand to the foam only got us halfway across the front. And because the fumes were pretty strong.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
OK, here are the rock wall pics. We set up a folding table, then put a big piece of acrylic on it to provide a very smooth work surface. Crossing our fingers and hoping the foam releases from the acrylic when it's cured. Then we laid out 1 full sheet of eggcrate plus an extra piece that was needed to span the whole surface of the back of the tank, and zip tied them together. I picked out some rock and coral skeleton rubble, and zip tied those randomly to the egg crate to hold them in place. Michael suggested a built in cavern, so we formed that with smaller pieces of egg crate to give the foam something to stick to.
At that point, it was time to dive in and hope for the best! We put on our disposable gloves (Get a big box of these if you wanna do this. You'll need them.) and got down to business. We started spraying in the foam, using a random pattern to make it look as natural as possible. The position of the can makes a big difference in the surface appearance. I also dinked with it a little as it started to form a surface skin. Sometimes it worked out great, sometimes it didn't and I had to go over a couple of areas with a squirt of foam to fix it. We thought 3 cans of foam would work, but had to go back for 2 more late last night. Once it looked like I wanted it to, we left it to cure overnight.
This morning the foam wasn't completely cured underneath, where the eggcrate met the acrylic, but we were comfortable with working the surface because it was pretty solid. Michael started by smearing silicone on it, smushing it into all the nooks and crannies, and I followed up by pouring sand on the silicone, and kinda pressing it in for a natural surface appearance. We thought 4 tubes of silicone was enough to cover the surface of the foam, but it actually took 7. We'll probably use another whole tube of silicone to adhere the wall to the back glass. We used 3 different kinds of sand to hopefully give it different textures and colors and make it look more realistic while waiting for the coralline to cover it: coarse aragonite (bagged), then a sugar fine (bagged), and finally the Bahamian sand from Marco Rocks. The sugar fine was my least favorite, as it didn't seem to stick to the wet silicone all that well. The bagged aragonite did better. The Bahamian sand was clearly shoveled right off a beach, as it arrived in a garbage bag inside the shipping box and was still slightly damp. It also looked exactly the same as the sand I remembered from my trip in December, which makes me extremely happy for totally unrelated reasons. It appeared to stick the best, but I don't know whether it will adhere long term because of the dampness. We'll find out when we dump all the loose sand off of it and see what's left behind. Can't do that for 24 hours, while the silicone cures, so it seems to me like it's time for a fire in the fireplace and maybe some Amarula hot cocoa (or spiked prune juice, if Martin's coming over).

[attachment=63818:name]

joeMASC

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cindy's 125 becomes a 180

I think you'll really love it. I did a rock wall using eggcrate covered with hydraulic cement and in m opinion, it really makes the whole tank. I had some slight space behind it and the back wall, but I actually liked it because it turned into a pod breeding ground in the DT. They were safe from the fish back there and it seemed to be a plus rather than a negative to have the space. I didn't try the foam version. I'm happy with the cement one, but it is heavy.

My tank leaked and I had the "opportunity" to redo some things. I made rock covers for the overflows and a side wall with a cave to hide an MP40 power head.

I'll post my rebuild soon.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
joeMASC;228331 said:
I think you'll really love it. I did a rock wall using eggcrate covered with hydraulic cement and in m opinion, it really makes the whole tank. I had some slight space behind it and the back wall, but I actually liked it because it turned into a pod breeding ground in the DT. They were safe from the fish back there and it seemed to be a plus rather than a negative to have the space. I didn't try the foam version. I'm happy with the cement one, but it is heavy.

My tank leaked and I had the "opportunity" to redo some things. I made rock covers for the overflows and a side wall with a cave to hide an MP40 power head.

I'll post my rebuild soon.
I may do something like a rockstack in front of the overflows. Not completely sure yet. They're fairly unobtrusive, so I might just leave them be. I was also thinking about getting an encrusting coral growing on them to liven things up a bit. I tried planning all this stuff out, but my brain just doesn't work that way, so I'm flying by the seat of my pants for the most part. Hopefully it looks good when I'm done.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalgra;228337 said:
That really sweet! You need to get a photobucket account though. These pics take forever to load. Lol
Is Photobucket the cure for that? I was wondering!

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;228373 said:
Imageshack brahs.

I'm curious as to why you guys chose to use silicone as a sealant, as opposed to Zpoxy or the loctite epoxy. Does it work better, price?
Ask Michael. He's the one that said, "Let's use silicone." I'm the one that said, "OK. Whatever you say."

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
And I gotta stick with Martin on the photobucket thing, seein's how we drank spiked prune juice together. It was a bonding experience. :mullet: