Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here are some real pics

Up and over the door.

Last edited by a moderator:

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sump/Refugium 40 Gal tank - I don’t have baffles separating each section, mainly since micro bubbles reaching my display has never been an issue. Also going this route allows me to be more flexible with what and where equipment is placed.

[1] This is the PanWorld pump that powers the skimmer, GFO/Carbon reactors, and NO3 Sulfur reactor

[2] ETSS Skimmer, overall a really good skimmer.

[3] This is a line that taps off the main output from the PanWorld. The line is ¾ CPVC pipe with plenty of union joints. For those who are new(er) to plumbing, a union joint allows you to easily disconnect plumbing lines. Often, folks use threaded joints but after you put a few together, they basically can’t be disconnected.

[4] This is a single BRS reactor that I use as a pre-filter to get sentiment before it clogs up the downstream reactors.

[5] A dual BRS reactor, right side is carbon (ROX 8) and left side is high capacity GFO.

[6] This is the return from the overflow from upstairs. There are two 1” lines, and both are used

[7] This is the return pump, Little Giant, and is the only original equipment that has been in place outside the tank upstairs. So this little gem has been running 24/7/365 for 6.5 years. I take it apart at least yearly, but really happy with this pump. I just wish it was 3x more powerful. I’m considering replacing both these pumps with one powerful reeflo pump, I’ll cover that another time as I’m not going to do that anytime soon.

[8] Return going back to the reef upstairs, around 15’

[9] I have three 250W heaters throughout the sump. They are all plugged into a power strip that in turn plugged into one apex outlet.

[10] Float switches for top off

[11] This line goes below for the NO3 Sulfur reactor

[12] I have two temp probes, one PH, and one salinity probe down in this area. All controlled by the apex

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is the lower section, under the sump.

[13] Apex 8 bar outlet

[14] 5 gal bucket as skimmate overflow

[15] No3 Sulfur reactor

[16] Salinity Apex (PM2) module, supports conductivity (salinity), and temperature probes. Has 6 digital inputs for another breakout box but that is not used

[17] HQI 150W ballast

[18] Apex Neptune Systems PM3 module, it’s for Dissolved Oxygen, but I use it for a temperature probe, and the I/O Expansion Box (for all the float switches)

[19] I ordered 2 brs dosing pumps. I’m going to mount the 8 bar and use this area for the Alk and Calk 2 part reservoirs.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here are pictures of the Sump (diagrams in previous posts should explain)

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Skimmer and reactors

On the left, below, here is the module that controls all my float switches. I have the APEX units hidden throughout. I've seen builds make a command center, but all my stuff is distributed on two floors.

On the complete back, I have a false partition to hide a lot of the tubing. I'm in the process now of redesigning this sump area, so I can make it look cleaner

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Some recent pics from a few days ago of the main display (Kitchen View)

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's the start of posting some corals. I'll get to the lighting and nuts & bolts of the upstairs down the road. I'm also working on explaining exactly how my Apex is setup. Enjoy!!

This is my favorite coral, and I'm not 100% certain what it is. It was given to me as Echinata, but the more pics I see of Echinata, I think it may be a Acropora tenuis

Below the show piece SPS is the back side of Meteor Shower (Elefant Cyphastrea Decadia). To the right is a purple monster that is still white... I love it white and hope it stays that way. Below that is a Turqouse Mili.

Middle is Firefly Echinopora (Hollywood Stunner), surrounded by Orange Montipora, and to the top left is Purple Haze Montipora, and below to the bottom right is purple tiped Frogspawn (Euphyllia Paradivisa )

All the white specs are food

Left is a Green Bali Slimer Coral - Acropora Yongei, next to the right is ORA Stuber Staghorn, Green/Yellow Pocillopora damicornus, and then a Pink Birds Nest
In the middle is a pink milipora, below is a red planet DBTC, and all around are the ked's red Zoas.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is a better picture of the Stuber Staghorn

This is Yellow Scroll Coral - Turbinaria

Future show piece of a Blue Oregon Tort right next to a Red Planet Acropora (sitting on top of Superman Montipora). To the left is Purple Montipora Digitata

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

Left bottom is ORA Montipora Spongodes, top left is Purple Montipora Digitata, next to orange Digitata, above is the Yellow/Green Pocillopora damicornus, to the right of that is the stubber stag. Below is Green Stylophora Pistillata

CR's War Coral - Favites pentagona

Can't wait until the DBTC pink lemonade grows up

Nice multi colored Acan received in a trade

Blueberry zoa's.

That's it for today.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Nice tank! So many critters and huge corals.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dave, this is INSANE! wow. Question on the Lanthanum, what are your thoughts on some of the cons as mentioned in this thread? Worries about unknown health effects on livestock of any La that remains. I'm considering taking your path with Lanthanum in my system, but curious if you've observed any livestock reactions?

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/11232

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a glass tank, not acrylic so can't comment on the risk of clouding. My skimmer and other acrylic gear is just fine. From what you posted, I do the same as post #5. I don't have clams either but do have a few types of shrimp. Can honestly say all my fish are healthy and fine. I do have a yellow tang that looks 'sickly', in that his coloration is off. He has always been this way (over 5 yrs now) and I've been dosing LC for about a year. All my sponges, feather dusters, and non-photosynthetic soft corals are fine. From all my experince and reading, I disagree with Matt Wandell on post #9. I'm sure he would say the same thing about putting vinegar or vodka into a reef tank....

I still use GFO. It does take a hit on your DKH, so bump it up to 9.5-10 before you dose.

This thread has been the mother load of information, and you can see it's been going on now for years. As with anything, following what others have done is the best way to ensure sucess/ http://www.reefcentral.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1474839

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalgra;214753 said:
looks Great!
jahmic;215771 said:
You have some HUGE colonies in there! Great looking tank.
WatercolorsGuy;216362 said:
Still looks awesome Dave!

BPreefer;216367 said:
Awesome thread Dave, your tank looks amazing. Lots of great info in here too.
Thanks guys! Ya know somedays I'm happy just to keep most of this stuff alive. When it grows, awsome...

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

DBTC Turquise Mili...

Sunset Monti

Rescue Acan