DyM Reef Journey

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here are some pics:

Here you can see the reactor tucked behind the middle door bracer. To the top right is a new 8 bar strip for the Apex. Also to the right on the door is a new TDS in line meter (got that for really cheap on the BRS 12 days of Christmas).

This is a close up of the modification; the white 3/8 connector replaced the black ¼ connector. I had to buy a few check valves so the water with kalk wouldn’t go back into the sump. Ordered from some plastic pluming store online since Lowes, Ace, or HD didn’t carry them.

Another view.

All closed up and hidden away.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
The pump being used is not a peristaltic pump. It’s a normal power head so it’s tricky measuring how many ml per second is the output. My initial measurements came to 10ml per second.

3785.41 ml = 1 US GAL
1893 ml = .5 US GAL

If my pump pumps 10 mil per second.

10ml per sec X 30 sec per hour X 16hrs = 4800ml

10ml per sec X 23 sec per hour X 16hrs =3680ml

16 hrs is something I set up so not do dose when my PH normally is high during the day.

So I set up 23 sec per hour, and measured the output at 350ml. I cut the dosing back to 20 seconds since that came to about a gallon and a half. Later, this morning, I had an idea to dose 10 seconds every 30 min, so I made that change. It was close to the dosing time so put the measureing cup in line and at 10 sec every 30 min, measured and it was 100ml. that comes to 3200ml a day.

Afterwards I added up to 11 sec every 30min to get it closer to a gallon. 22 sec per hour * 10 ml * 16 = 3520 ml

First thing this morning is I tested everything and Alk was a bit high, but that’s because I dosed the normal amount manually yesterday and should have cut back since I’m now dosing with a reactor/stirer. I’ll be measuring that again when I get home, but suspect that will drop by tomorrow into normal range. Reason is my assertion is the Kalk will not be enough to keep up with the current reef demands for Alk and Calc. I have two dosing pumps so when the amount of 2 part added + Kalk = balanced daily consumption, I’ll automate the 2 part addition.

More to come.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yesterday (Thurs Feb 7th) when I tested Alk it was down from 11.5 to 9.3 as I suspected. Calc stayed the same both days at 420.

Last night I dosed less than 1/2 of what I normally dose on a daily basis for Alk (dosed 1 level tbsp instead of 2 heaping tbsp of 2 part) so that today when tested - was hoping to see 9.3 for alk.

It tested in at 8.6 for Alk. Also Calc fell to 410.

Plan is (a) test the output of the Kalk reactor to ensure I'm getting 10ml per second. (b) dose 1 heaping tbsp of Alk, and 1/4 of the normal Calc (use to dose 1.5 tbsp and will dose a heaping tsp.)

My Ph is more constant at about 8. I plan to calibrate the ph probes this weekend.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So how much I've had to add each day is variable since my skimmer has been skimming too wet. I really had to crank it down today so I don't take out 5 gal a day. Here is some of my calculations for the dosing pumps.

1 cup a day = 8 oz = 236.588 ml (whatever the dry amount, I plan on dissolving it and dosing it in 1 cup (and 5 ml as described below)

237 ml / 1.1ml per second = 216 seconds

216 seconds = 3.6 min

.6 of a min = 60*.6 = 36 seconds

180 + 36 = 216 (just checking)

9.82 seconds every 30 min

.82 = .49 of a sec, so it has to be 10 seconds since the apex isn't that accuate.

20 *11 = 220 * 1.1 = 242ml

1 cup and 5 ml per day on this schedule

A 1 gallon jug should last about 2 weeks.

Just for fun since I looked it up -- 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a quart and 4 quarts in a gallon.... How many cups in a 1/2 gallon?????

8 cups in 1/2 gallon.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I finally started to pull a list together of the corals I have. Here's the completed list of SPS

Stony Corals:

Acropora Valida - Tricolor
Acropora Tenuis - Blue
Acropora Hyacinthus - Red
Acropora Millepora - Pink
Acropora Millepora - Cream
Prostrata Northstar - Pink
Acropora - ORA Red Planet
Acropora - Purple Monster
Acropora - GARF Purple Bonsai
Acropora Tortuosa - Oregon Blue Tort
Acropora Turaki - Blue (but looks green)
Acropora Yongei - Green Bali Slimer
Acropora Granulosa - Purple Monster
Acropora - Blue Tip
Acropora - Pink Lemonade
Acropora - Stuber Staghorn
Acropora - Red Dragon
Acropora Hydnophora - Green Hairy
Acropora – Unknown
Acropora – Unknown
Montipora capricornis - Flower Pot
Montipora capricornis - Orange
Montipora capricornis - Idaho Grape Purple
Montipora capricornis - Purple Haze
Montipora capricornis - Sunset
Montipora capricornis - Rainbow
Montipora Velvet Spongodes
Montipora setosa - Red/Orange Encrusting
Montipora digitata - Orange
Montipora digitata - Purple
Montipora digitata - Forest Fire
Pocillopora - Bright Green
Stylophora - Pink
Stylophora - Purple
Stylophora - Pink
Turbinaria - Yellow Scroll
Chalice Echinopora - Blue
Chalice Echinopora - Hollywood Stunner
Chalice Echinopora - Blood Red

I know, I know, where are the pics.... some day.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
There are not going to be anymore updates to this thread. Not being able to go back and update my data make this a useless endeavor. I'm not badged member, or have the desire to go to meetings to get what was previously a simple click on a permissions radial button that some control freek decided to turn off.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: DyM Reef Journey

Wow, great read, great info, great build, great job and beautiful tank you have!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: DyM Reef Journey

DyM;225752 said:
There are not going to be anymore updates to this thread. Not being able to go back and update my data make this a useless endeavor. I'm not badged member, or have the desire to go to meetings to get what was previously a simple click on a permissions radial button that some control freek decided to turn off.
That is unfortunate as you are the one that told me about MASC and the reason I am here. Would be nice if those that had been on the forum for a specified amount of time could have editing privileges as well. I understand the reasoning behind the limits but it is hard to understand punishing those that have greatly contributed to the forum and it's members, such as you, simply for not being "badged". Hope to still see you here on the forum, but I understand your frustration.