Free frags - Leng Sy montipora

Five years ago I acquired a small frag of this from a member of this forum (takayan). I now have two+ huge colonies and need to get this under control.

I consider this as a beginner coral because it's hard to kill but will readily show you when it's unhappy. For me, it's become an indicator of water chemistry. When my calcium is low, it gets a bit pale. When my magnesium is low, the purple rim gets thinner.

One of the trademark characteristics of this coral is the spikes that grow out of it. For the past 15 years or so, I've only run 250w radiums driven off electronic ballasts set to HQI. With this setup, this coral does spike quite a bit. About a year ago, I had trouble finding radiums so I bought a few 14k Hamiltons. After a year, I can tell you that the spikes are much less pronounced. TBH, I've always thought the spikiness was a bit weird and not something that I necessarily liked. However, as it is one of the trademark Leng Sy characteristics, I let it go.

Free to anyone, but newbies are encouraged. Also open to trade. Currently interested in small rose or raibow BTA, red cap, or anything that isn't green or brown - I've had enough of that.

Located in Lafayette.

Hal3134

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dibs if you have enough. I’m happy to see if I can dig something up for trade. I’ve got several acid wash RBTA’s, but I don’t know if I can get their foot out of the rock intact.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
We’ve got three rainbow BTA’s in a jar and ready to go. Any chance you’re coming to the DBTC meeting in February?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jodil - I've never been to one of these meetings. Are they open to anyone? Are these meetings primarily frag swaps? It's a bit far for me but I would consider it. Is anyone else on this thread intending to go to this meeting?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Jodil - I've never been to one of these meetings. Are they open to anyone? Are these meetings primarily frag swaps? It's a bit far for me but I would consider it. Is anyone else on this thread intending to go to this meeting?
We do the DBTC frag swap 2x per year and it is generally our most attended meeting aside from Coral Extravaganza, which is a small local coral show. Our meeting are always open to anyone who wants to attend and if you attend any 2 meeting in a year you can gain club membership too.
Read the event post for full details
https://www.marinecolorado.org/threads/masc-meeting-dbtc-frag-swap-feb-25th-2023-at-2pm.29419/

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Everyone will end up with some coral at the meeting. Some of us have full tanks and wanna help others out. Great community, also a great way to try your hand at some things without the financial burden.

This all sounds really interesting so I am planning on attending. I will likely be able to bring at least a dozen frags of the leng sy. I can also try bringing frags of a german blue if anyone is interested, though I've never fragged this thing before. I would consider that another beginner coral .

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I think I’ve likely gotten more coral from these events than I’ve purchased. They are really worth it to attend and I think it helps to promote conservation.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
This all sounds really interesting so I am planning on attending. I will likely be able to bring at least a dozen frags of the leng sy. I can also try bringing frags of a german blue if anyone is interested, though I've never fragged this thing before. I would consider that another beginner coral .
Horray! It’ll be great to meet you! The more people (and frags) the better!