FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Couple tank specs.

Dimensions:
48" x 24" x 12"

Flow:
Drilled for two 3/4" returns, one currently being used with lockline
Quiet One 3000 return pump through Single Return, at head and bends, probably about 600gph
MP10 opposite end of return, and overflow
Small Koralia 400gph temporary to stir up the tank, not sure if I'll keep this pump to run under the racks, or remove.
WP25: NIB may or may not use this pump, the flow is decent right now, may add this pump for a more random flow, haven't decided.

Overflow:
Ghost style, internal / external Herbie. I wanted to build one of these for a while, and so far I like it. Uses very little room in the tank, and is absolutely silent.

Lighting:
250W Cayman Sun Double Ended Metal Halide w/14K Hamilton. This sucker is bright white, and seems more 10K to me, but have been running only LED for a while, so might just be my perception. Only running 3hrs a day to acclimate.
2 @ 120w Chinese LED full spec fixtures. Running mostly blue, with just enough white channel to keep from looking actinic for now.

Frag Racks:
Currently black egg crate on pvc stand offs.
Future racks will be drilled black acrylic. The CNC guys at the shop have been swamped with real work, so Im still waiting to have the acrylic drilled. I was going to drill it myself until I realized there were going to be over 1000 holes!! ( I'll wait until they have time LOL) :)

Sump:
33g Long 48"X12"X12" Still running the modular design from the old system, but made a new 12"X11"X10" pump box for extra volume for the reactor, and return pumps.
Most of the live rock has been moved to the sump, and will run mostly cryptic.

Skimmer:
AquaC EV 180 running remotely from a Mag Drive 9 to make room for the live rock.

Last edited by a moderator:

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
static reef;334611 said:
Thats nice. Have it made or purchased?
I believe that Seth said it was made by Glass Cages, but don't think he was the original owner. I cant remember exactly, my memory isn't what it used to be, and I took so long to drill the tank, and do the swap (mostly lazy, although I was really just dreading putting a tank where I already had one set up).

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Nice. Could you post more info and pics of the overflow? I'd like some options for my not yet happening 37 cube build.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
The overflow consists of two boxes, a small surface skimmer inside the tank, connected through the glass via bulkheads to a larger box outside the tank containing the drain pipes.

Dimensions could be modified per application.

Internal box / surface skimmer:
5" high X 2 deep" X 9 1/2" wide. Probably a larger box than I needed, but I wanted it a little bigger just in case I add a larger return pump, and fire up the second return. I cut 1" X 3/16 wide teeth spaced 3/16" apart for the surface skimming. Had no real math to support this, but the wider the intake, the more surface skimming you get. I couldn't make the depth of the box any less in my case because of the rim on the tank, as it is now, I only had an inch to access the bulkhead nuts.

External box / Herbie
A Herbie overflow, is a 2 drain overflow. One drain is adjusted with a gate valve (preferred), or good ball valve, for full siphon. A full siphon is created when there is no air in the line, and head pressure dictates the flow rate. The second drain has a stand pipe raising the water level inside the external box, and head pleasure. It is also your overflow drain. The distance between the two drains has to be enough that the flow of the drain isn't so much or so shallow that it can suck air ( tornado ). The higher the head, the greater the pressure, and the greater volume through the same size drain pipe. You adjust the lower drain with a valve until the water level rises to the top of the stand pipe of the second drain, and has a slight spill over. This slight spill over is just enough to maintain the level at the top of the pipe. With this small amount going through the second drain, the water will flow along the wall of the pipe, and stays silent. The external box is the same 5" X 9 1/2" as the internal, but is dimensioned to 3" to fit the 1" bulkheads.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looks great man!

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
J.guokas;334665 said:
Is love to do an overflow like that for my 40b.
I would have made one for my 40b if I hadn't been doing this one. It would be a fairly easy add on if you have access to do the plumbing, and room behind the tank.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FishTV;334615 said:
I believe that Seth said it was made by Glass Cages, but don't think he was the original owner. I cant remember exactly, my memory isn't what it used to be, and I took so long to drill the tank, and do the swap (mostly lazy, although I was really just dreading putting a tank where I already had one set up).

I was the second owner. The guy I bought them from ordered them from Glass Cages for clown fish breeding.