Going big.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm starting to discuss with my wife the possibility of getting a large tank in my front room (so you can picture it, my house is the same as MajicMikes house) except I'm wanting something a little different. I'm really thinking about a 4x4x2.5 tank, with basement sump. Or possibly a 6x3x2.5 tank. Would there be any advantages or disadvantages to either of those sizes?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Going big.

Def. LED. Possibly supplement with t-5 or halide. My main concern on the 4x4 tank is flow.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Going big.

Tangs and some other fish would rather have the longer tank I would go 6 foot a 4x4 would be sweet though

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;225631 said:
Tangs and some other fish would rather have the longer tank I would go 6 foot a 4x4 would be sweet though
This was my first thought as well. I'd like to have an Achilles but even though I will have enough volume I will not have the length.

xsocali

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Check out Ritmar ...he is selling a 6x3x2 with close loop,dart pump and external wave box wit h a tunze pump and controller.It also has an external overflow.It's a 270 gallon.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Going big.

H2O_intolerant;225683 said:
Is the 8' plywood tank out of the question? Just thinking about the savings
No, plywood is not at all out of the question. It kinda depends on if I want 3 sides viewable though.

Just getting ideas as of now... Not even close to making a purchase yet...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Going big.

H2O_intolerant;225692 said:
Oh, you can do 3 sides viewable with plywood too, but the costs might start to even out
That's kinda what I was thinking. Get 3 pieces of glass cut, or spring for 2 more? I have a hook up in glass too... So that helps. That is if I custom build... I might try to find prebuilt.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
30" tall is a bit much. I am happy with the 24" and even that is hard to place stuff at the bottom. 30" would be almost impossible imo. But I know they are fairly common.

Also needs quite a bit more light to hit the sand that's 6" deeper.

4x4 or 6x3 or even 6x2 will all take about the same to light.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Going big.

I had a 4x4x2.5 and it takes up a lot of space and a lot of light! If I were to do it again it would be 4x3x2 or 3x3x2.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jack one thing I know any more than 24" tall it becomes real hard to clean I could not reach the back of the 300 to pick stuff up. If it fell off it was just lost

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Going big.

Hmmm. I do remember the 120 being hard to get stuff off the bottom too... I also do expect to house a tang or 2( I had a few in the 120, I just watched their growth and got them out before they became too big) I am leaning towards 6x3 after measuring out some things last night in the hopeful spot. But keep tips and ideas rolling folks!!