Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sony SLT-A55

• Other

• Total voters

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
My vote is for the Nikon, just cause that is what I shoot and I really like them. Although a lot of my photographer friends shoot Cannon and swear by them. If at all possible get your hands on one of each to get a feel for how they operate, cause from my understanding that is the main difference between the two.

As far as macro shots you can always take a wide angle lens and reverse it. I shot my avatar with a 50mm reversed.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone for your input. Like I previously said I was pretty set on the Nikon until I started researching the Canon a bit more. The video functions seem so much more robust, I love the 60fps recording and Magic Lantern looks pretty sweet!

So I pulled the trigger on the Canon T3i and picked up this package. I hope to have the camera by Friday or Monday next week. I cant wait!!!!
Dont care much for the lenses but a carrying case, cleaning kit, 32gb class 10 card and tripod shipped to me for less than the retail value of the camera seems pretty good to me!

For macro photography I will probably just do these extension tubes until I can afford a good macro lens or I might just get a lens reverse mount ring and try that out.

btw Brent; I am pretty determined to crack your code. I will figure out how to get those glowing shots you do so well!!!!! I will start with a huge filter pack and see if that gets me close to your shots!

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hell, I forgot to say congrats on the phone for the camera purchase :)
Extension tubes will work great on your camera but will reduce the amount of light that gets to the sensor.
A tripod will help get a clearer picture when using the tubes also. Let me know how the video is on the T3i.
I haven't shot much video with my 60D but it sure is nice :)
Did you get a Class 10 SDHC memory card with it? If you bought the camera for video, a class 10 is a good card for it.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I heard lower classes can damage the video recording sensor. I don't think the class maters with still photos though.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sweet

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ugghhhh UPS sucks. Just got my tracking number and its not going to be here until next Tuesday :(

I ship macros all over the US via USPS and the longest a package has ever been in transit was 3 days...

Why is it always the big stuff that takes forever to deliver!!!

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;108283 said:
So after doing some research I think I am going to pick up a monopod. I dont think I will be able to get close enough to the tank with a tripod. I was looking at picking up this:
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-682...TF8&coliid=I3OEA67KPQJ896&colid=2TEK9T6P0PU6Q
With This:
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-498...TF8&coliid=I1PY02AGOO8Z8T&colid=2TEK9T6P0PU6Q

What do you guys think?
I think you will use the camera for more than the aquarium. You might be happier with the freedom you get with a tripod. I mean that monopod does have legs but don't you still need to hold it the whole time? If not then I really don't see the difference. There will come a time when you will want to take pictures away from the camera. You won't need to get that close with a good lense anyway

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member

rangerbobb

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't like ball heads because I can adjust a single axis at a time. Ball heads are easier for video and sports, 3 way work really well for still shots. I have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3221WN and I love it. I can stick my lenses right on the glass if I feel like it.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Camera is in!!!! Of course I had to open the box and go play. I took a couple pics of flowers outside our office building. I used the macro lens that came with the kit and just turned it on and shot. I did not change any settings. I cant wait to learn this and play with it more!!!!

It is amazing how much better this dslr is compared to my point and shoot.