It hasn't been THAT long

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the warm welcome, all. Glad to see so many familiar names!

Mike - The build looks great. Subscribed!
Zooid - I sold the 65 when I built the 140. I still run swirler steins. The DIY MJ mods have been replaced with off-the-shelf versions though.
Kristian - How is your tank coming along?
Jonathon - I saw that you're getting out. I'm sure it feels great to be free.
Derrick - What are you running these days?

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a pretty disheartening die off just after I built my dream tank. When I ducked out I had the highest post count on MASC. :lol: I was just giving you guys some time to catch up! I'm really, really pleased to see so much of the conversation here on the local boards these days.

Does anyone keep in touch with Del?

It looks like LED's have gone serious DIY these days. Controllers too.

edit to add....hmm....no laughing allowed? Did I do it wrong? :lol:

miwoodar;110419 said:
Thanks for the warm welcome, all. Glad to see so many familiar names!

Mike - The build looks great. Subscribed!
Zooid - I sold the 65 when I built the 140. I still run swirler steins. The DIY MJ mods have been replaced with off-the-shelf versions though.
Kristian - How is your tank coming along?
Jonathon - I saw that you're getting out. I'm sure it feels great to be free.
Derrick - What are you running these days?
Hey Mike,

Here is a mini build thread on my new setup, much has changed since I last posted...

http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?4582-Loosehip-s-Reef-Journal

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I haven't seen Del on much at all. I might have seen him two times in the past four years or so.
I saw Kip Tani a few months ago in person but haven't seen him online here at all.
Not too many oldies around anymore. It's too bad because I think they may appreciate some of the changes.
I don't think I've posted on Reef Central for the past couple years. I decided that this board is much more free
speech oriented. :D

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
miwoodar;109871 said:
I'm calling myself out right now...the goal for the first big stocking event...Saturday October 1st. See, how hard was that? The plan has been sprung.
Phase 1 (complete): There is no turning back now. A guy just came and picked up the last large livestock haul before I renovate. 15" leather, ~15 in the 2"-5" range, a large GSP rock, and few heads of caulastrea. I also sold a large rock of orange rics, some zoa rocks, and more...gone. Pothunter - I kept a ric for you. It's small but it's yours if you want it.

Phase 2: Transfer what remains into a holding tank for a few weeks while I tear down the main unit, bleach & acid a few rocks, do some minor redesigns (water top off system, water change equipment, and more?).

Phase 3: Rescape. Wait for cycle to complete. Practice vigilence against any aiptasia on the remaining live rock.

Phase 4: Restock the tank from the holding tank.

Phase 5: Collect the corals that I enjoy...SPS (mostly).

Am I missing a step?

V1 of this tank still feels like a failure but I'm sure going to miss it.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can I perpetuate this into a build thread even if I don't build anything? Does it need to be moved to the Build section? Perhaps we can set up a Renovation section?

It occurred to me that I needed to start cleaning rocks sooner rather than later. As such, I made a colossal mess last night - I had to mop the floor twice! All but three rocks were pulled from the tank and scrubbed of pests then returned to the tank. Aiptasia were the main target but I also hit the bubble algae and vermatids. Sponges were removed from rocks that sat out too long. I'm happy to report that only two rocks were rejected into the bleach bucket.

This was actually a really neat process. I found all sorts of stuff that I haven't seen in a very long time (asterina stars, brittle stars, various worms). There were also a few scary looking whatchamacallit surprises under some of the rocks.

Waiting. I'll be watching the rocks for any signs of aiptasia over the next few days. Offensive rocks will be re-cleaned and/or bleached. The fish will move into their hotel once I am sure that I have enough positively clean rock to set it up properly.

You don't want to be the person who gives me aiptasia. I never want to see these things in my tank ever again.

I followed KA's aquascaping thread and parsed through the links. However, I didn't find what I was hoping for. Does anyone know of a cube-only aquascaping thread anywhere out there on the www?

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aiptasia event #2 was last night. Tonight was #3. I'm determined to knock these things out once and for all.

Preparing for battle...identification of the enemy...

The battle ground...

Each rock came out but for 1. Unfortunately, the last rock is collared below my foam structure and I won't be able to get it out until I pull out ALL of the rock. I've struck a deal to trade that particular rock to a berghia breeder --- it's covered.

After restacking, I took a high power flashlight and identified those that I had missed, covered the tank with another set of sticky notes, then went to bed.

Tonight I prepped for another round. (Note the larger towel)

I see you. I'm going to enjoy brushing your teeth with kalk paste.

Then I danced for a bit.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ha ha. I spent about an hour with the flashlight last night and was only able to find two. Hopefully tonight will be the last battle because I can't wait to pull out the foam structures and get started on the new scape.

These are coming out tonight:

Supporting the rocks in the front (pre-foam)

Supporting the rocks in the back (scavenged from prior tank)

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I went ahead and vacuumed out 2/3rd's of my sand on Wednesday night when I pulled the foam structures out. It made a horrendous mess in the tank (duh) and I knew that it was going to be hell for the inhabitants. However, it was necessary to proceed towards long term goals.

Out of curiosity I tested my nitrate and phosphate yesterday (Red Sea kits....ahem, the pinnacle of technology, I know). I expected to see the signs of a nutrient bomb. However, there wasn't a hint of anything in either test. Wierd.

I was hoping to get to the rescaping this weekend but it's not looking like I'll have the time so the plan has been pushed to next week. I'm seriously considering a blantant copy of Thor's tank. The idea of having that much swimming room is very, very enticing. My fish have had too many easy hiding places for too long.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
My fingers are without prints. If you ever want to commit a crime, re-scape with your bare hands using this stuff...

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
hmm ...i have always just shaved mine off ...learn something new everyday

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I guess you could say that I've put my hands through a two week treatment of bleach, acid, kalk paste, and mortor. Add the impact of the scouring surfaces of the rocks and I've put them through hell. My skin was rough like sand paper until working with the mortor though. They are now silky smooth.

Another safety note, if you're working with kalk paste as shown a few posts above, and you're holding a small flashlight in your mouth for a few hours as you're working on the rocks, and a small amount of kalk paste has been transferred to the flashlight handle while you've been working, you will end up with burns on your lips.

KA, this stuff is great btw. I've been able to make some large cantilevered shapes pretty easily.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Me too. The scape looks good right now but the sand looks like a yardsale. I'm hoping to get everything mounted in the next few days.