MileHighTides Build Off Competition Entry - 26g Bowfront

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya, RO units are one of the things that does not need to be included in the build price, but I have to echo RJ's comment. Would be better to have an RO fill an external container and then run a line with a float valve to the tank instead. Having an RO turn on and off frequently can lead to bad things ime.

Milehightides

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Alright, update time! So the nem didnt like the new tank I guess. Prolly added it too early. Had it for like 11 days or so and it was in a new place every day until I woke up to a cloudy as can be tank and it was getting shredded by my circ pump :/ pretty bummed, it was such a nice nem too. So I performed a 10g water change on the tank and swapped out the filter sock. The clowns and the plate coral I added seem to be doing just fine tho and I started to notice some random green palys growing in the back corner of the tank on the live rock I got from my buddy. Pic posted below. Other than that, my levels after water change are still in decent shape, although my nitrate deffo spiked after the nem death up to 20-25ppm. Will keep an eye on that over the next week for sure, may have to do additional water change if it stays that high. But the new sock made the tank crystal clear again so that makes me happy. Gonna be looking at adding a buncha frags now that the nem is no longer walking all over the tank. As bummed as I am to lose it, its onward and forward! View attachment 15122

Milehightides

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Quick update. Nothing new or anything. Just giving the tank some time to stable out again. After the nem died the nitrates jumped to about 40. I've been keeping up with my weekly 5g water changes and the nitrates have slowly come down to somewhere between 10 and 20. With my nitrates back down now, I plan to add some frags this coming week. Will be posting some pics once they're in!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Friendly reminder that you need to post up on your progress to remain current in the competition and it must include a pic!

Milehightides

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Alright guys, first off I want to apologize for my absence here. I have been traveling internationally for the last 6 weeks between about 13 countries. If I am too late to update and am disqualified from the contest, I understand. But I still want to update regardless.

So while I was traveling, no water changes were performed, and I had my roommate feed the fish. He overfed and my nitrates spiked to above 50. It's hard to tell the color exactly to the scale but if I had to guess its prolly more like between 60 and 80. My orange clownfish apparently died, and the few frags I have in the tank aren't looking that great to be honest. Before I left or my travels I had added 7 zoa frags and a frag of branching gsp that I paid 125$ for. Pics are posted below. I did a 10g water change and cleaned the walls up and swapped the micron socks out yesterday. Tank is looking better but still in very rough condition for sure. Nitrates are still above 50. Going to do another 10g change in a couple days. Hopefully the frags start to bounce back. On a positive note, coraline is starting to develop and spread! That's about the only good news right now.

Again, sorry for my absence from this thread. Please let me know if I'm disqualified. Even if I am, I will still continue the thread throughout the rest of the contest to be a good sport. Thanks for reading and following along! View attachment 15426 View attachment 15427 View attachment 15428

Nice little bowfront there, sorry to hear the loss in coral and fish. The system will bounce back just will require time and consistent water changes. If you need any help feel free to reach out to me.

Sent from my LG-H918 using MASC mobile app