Moon lights

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any benefit to running led moon lights. I am running a bar of moon lights but it isn't covering my whole tank, only about 60-70%. While I do have some of my larger colonies under this light, I can't say that I have noticed any better growth or increased happiness.

Let me know your thoughts

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run my Rkl moonlights that are on a lunar cycle.... No difference in growth. I think it's the old adage " mimic the ocean as close as humanely possible"

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mostly for us I believe. However, some corals feed at night, so if you spot feed it'll be easier to see them. I didn't do moonlights on my LED build and have t noticed a difference.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are great nightlights in your house lmao.

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
As far as I know, the only physiological benefit from lunar lights on a lunar cycle is potentially stimulating a spawning event. Corals and some fish rely on the lunar cycle to let them know when the best time to spawn is. In the case of Corals broadcast spawning, this is how they synchronize the release of gametes into the water to increase the chance of fertilization. I have also heard a benefit of lunar lights when you have an aggressive anemone like a carpet, fish will be less likely to accidently swim into it at night.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
THis is also my understanding of the benefits from having moonlights. Same thing for any fish you have that are nocturnal. I've heard as well though that the more we can replicate what the ocean does the better. There may be some things that we just haven't discovered yet that are benefits from having moonlight?