My 90 gallon build

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
A month ago I upgraded from my 55g to this 90, and in doing so I lost a LOT of shrooms. I just got my Refugium running and get some additional LR from the fine community here at MASC. Here are some pics of the progress so far.I want to give a BIG thanks for Boogie for hooking up a smoking deal on rock, and for the goodies!! View attachment 4458 View attachment 4460 View attachment 4459 View attachment 4457

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
nice bro congrats on the upgrade hope all go well

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking good so far! Did those zoas open up?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
yeah, the are looking good! I also found some really pale and dying zoas in the LR rubble... do you remember what these were, I'm nursing them back to health, and there are opening up but have no color right now. I guess we will see. I really wish I had painted my aquarium background, as I kind of hate seeing the salt creep back there.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone know much about ATI Blue+ T5's? I am running the stock bulbs that came with my Chinese fixture and not so impressed. currently 4 @ 10k and 2 @ Actinic, the fourms say people tend to run them with one daylight and one "purple" but the MFG listings say they are more of a suplamental bulb and not a "stand alone". Shipping isnt bad but I need to order a few to make it worth it, would you run 3 blue+, 2 actinic and 1 10k? also has anyone tried Aquamedic t5, I noticed they are a sponsor of ours and located here in loveland!!

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
RefferMatt;136434 said:
Anyone know much about ATI Blue+ T5's? I am running the stock bulbs that came with my Chinese fixture and not so impressed. currently 4 @ 10k and 2 @ Actinic, the fourms say people tend to run them with one daylight and one "purple" but the MFG listings say they are more of a suplamental bulb and not a "stand alone". Shipping isnt bad but I need to order a few to make it worth it, would you run 3 blue+, 2 actinic and 1 10k? also has anyone tried Aquamedic t5, I noticed they are a sponsor of ours and located here in loveland!!

I run 3 blue + and one purple + on a 55 gallon tank and love the color (like a 20K) and have had no problems growth wise either, and from what I have read (mostly at Grim's site and his advice at some of the other sites) the ati lamps have some of the best par readings. With a 5 lamp configuration I would try 3 blue+, one purple+, and a daylight bulb (either a GE 5500K or a aquablue from ati, and I think KZ has a "new generation 14K lamp that has also received good reviews). As Boogie stated read up on Grim's website and maybe even PM him to get a good recomendation on the color you are looking for.

I have never tried the aquamedic lamps so if you give those a try please let us know how they work.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
so yesterday I took a tour of Aqua Medic in Loveland, because I do silly stuff like that to decompress before class. They had several tanks set up with their lights on them, too bad they can't sell direct to the public or I would have went home with new bulbs. This is what I learned: they offer t5 bulbs in all wattage's and in four "flavors" 10k, 15k, ocean blue (similar to a blue+) and a red plant bulb that amazed me by making reds, yellows and greens "pop"! Here is an article I found with different mixes, and here are some pics I took. Looks like a great line of products (I was amazed at how many different products they make)!!
[attachment=60682:name]

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
If they don't sell to the public, who do they sell to? Any of the sponsors here have access to their product?

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They sell to LFS nationally. They are really more of a distribution hub for North America. Local suppliers who carry aqua Medic include Koi and Pond, D&G and Great White aquatics in Fort Collins. I'm not sure about Denver, but yeah, if I was business I could buy there. I asked why they didn't, and was told that they would then upset local vendors who carry their products.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
2 days after removing 25% of the bio balls, ammonia and Nitrite still 0... wondering if this means I can remove another 25%? Live rock seems to be keeping up well, although I admit with with only 3 fish and some coral there is very little bio load on the tank right now.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yesterday I removed another 25% of the bio balls.... today still 0 ammonia, will check it again Saturday and if it is still 0... perhaps remove them all together? Getting nervous about doing this too fast, but all live rock is established... maybe another 25% just to be safe.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd say pull them all.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
[attachment=61289:name]Haven't added an update in a while, I really feel like it hasn't changed much till I look at the first pics from the build. Wife says I need more color, I have been given permission to buy something colorful (as long as it is not green or purple, because I just have too much of those colors, LOL!)

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
just added my first "micromussa", not sure it really is one as the largest polyp is about 1/2 inch across.... but they are smaller than most the Acans I have seen. With that taken into account, I have to wonder if I still got a good deal...
[attachment=61938:name]

Last edited by a moderator:

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
[attachment=62307:name] Update. I have been running carbon in my filter sock and the GFO reactor has been going for 2 days, I have never seen my water this crystal clear!!