My reduce, reuse, and recycle build

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
just apply and wipe, it's clear coating that you need to make sure you wipe down with cheese cloth and give a light buffing to take out any roughness.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: My reduce, reuse, and recycle build

Cool! I'll do a couple more coats today.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
OK, so the weather was too dang hot for staining, so I didn't get it done until today, but I think it looks good. I rubbed on 4 more coats this afternoon, so that's 6 total. It got a LOT darker with the additional coats, and it's much shinier. It looks so much better. So thanks for pushing me to do more coats. Still need to put the new handles on, plus I'm mounting a towel rack on the side. Just have to wait for it to dry. I was going to top off the stain with spar urethane, but then I took a closer look at the stain I got, and it's a weatherproofing stain that's already got the urethane built in. So that saves me a step.

The inside is the original color. Not bad, but it wouldn't look right in the room.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
DONE! Got the towel rack installed, stand moved into the fireplace room, and the tank placed on it. I seriously couldn't be more thrilled with how it looks. Next step is to get the LED fixture built for it. HUGE thank you to ThunderTwonk for helping us out with that, by the way. Seriously, Chris couldn't be a nicer guy. Huge asset to this club. And he's got some killer tools!

I really gotta get a tiny magnet cleaner thingie, but here's a pic.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sweet Cindy! Thanks for the nice comments. The light is pretty much done minus getting the leds on the heat sink. Everything else has been wired up, cut to fit, etc.

Thats gonna be a sweet little nano!

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
ThunderTwonk;252034 said:
Sweet Cindy! Thanks for the nice comments. The light is pretty much done minus getting the leds on the heat sink. Everything else has been wired up, cut to fit, etc.

Thats gonna be a sweet little nano!
We got LEDs in for it. I messed up, potentially, however, and they're not the same as the other ones. So I hope they work. You have no idea how much I appreciate all of your help with the light. I can't wait to see it over the tank. So stoked.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghxst;252041 said:
Awesome job on the rrr tank! This inspires me for my next build :)
Thanks! Once I get the LEDs done, then I can really focus on the tank itself and get it up to par with the other behemoth tank in the room (Mike's 300 gallon work of art).

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
filled with hair algae. So frustrating. And because of where the slots are located, it doesn't have a proper overflow, so it doesn't skim stuff off the surface at all. I'm prolly going to have to swap it out for a different cube that skims, unless I can figure out how to clean the surface. It's not getting good light at the moment.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
CindyL;257959 said:
filled with hair algae. So frustrating. And because of where the slots are located, it doesn't have a proper overflow, so it doesn't skim stuff off the surface at all. I'm prolly going to have to swap it out for a different cube that skims, unless I can figure out how to clean the surface. It's not getting good light at the moment.
What about gluing a piece of 1/4" acrylic to the lower slots? I had the same issue when I had the nano wave.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;257969 said:
What about gluing a piece of 1/4" acrylic to the lower slots? I had the same issue when I had the nano wave.
I thought about that. I hate the idea of swapping cubes, because I really wanted this one to work. I'm just reluctant to tear the whole thing down, glue acrylic over the old holes, and figure out how to make a real overflow, however. That's a lot of mods, and would probably make it unsellable at some point down the road. Neither option is ideal, but I'm going to have to do something. It looks like crap at the moment.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What about running some phosguard in it to reduce phosphates. And shorted light cycle to help it die off and let media do its job

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;257981 said:
What about running some phosguard in it to reduce phosphates. And shorted light cycle to help it die off and let media do its job
I have shorted the life cycle, and got a rainfordii goby to eat the hair algae (it would take an army of them). I also need to replace the bulb for the fuge- that's probably the biggest issue as far as algae goes.
But that doesn't solve the surface skimming issue.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What I mean is if you can get algae to die off wouldn't that help the issue of skimming. Or did I read that wrong. I thought it was algae that was restricting flow