My reduce, reuse, and recycle build

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
They might be related (kinda like 3rd cousins twice removed), but they're two different issues. One is the hair algae issue. The other is a tank design issue that results in no skimming of the surface crap. It doesn't have the overflow slots at the surface like most tanks do- instead they're partway down on the back wall. So, there's always crud on the surface blocking the light.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
xjmav;258102 said:
drill a few holes at the top of the false wall? right at water level.
That's a possibility. I'd still have to tear it down and start over, but either way it looks like that's what I would need to do. I could glue in the acrylic pieces over the lower slats, drill some holes, and set it back up again.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
CindyL;258129 said:
That's a possibility. I'd still have to tear it down and start over, but either way it looks like that's what I would need to do. I could glue in the acrylic pieces over the lower slats, drill some holes, and set it back up again.
Drain it half way.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Wouldn't the plastic bits fall into the water from the drilling? I s'pose I could scoop them out... might try that. Hopefully it doesn't freak the fish out too much...

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CindyL;258152 said:
Wouldn't the plastic bits fall into the water from the drilling? I s'pose I could scoop them out... might try that. Hopefully it doesn't freak the fish out too much...
Vacuum while drilling so you don't have to clean it out of the water :p

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm forgetting it's a nano! Pull everything and pit into a 10 gallon tub. Make your mods, then put it all back. How long could it take?

Does yours have the hood on it? I had heat issues when mine had the hood. Would make a great open top tank!

Do you guys still have that 30 long? Are you home on sat eve? We will be in wheatridge for a swim meet. If it is over in time I'd love to see the system.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;258209 said:
I'm forgetting it's a nano! Pull everything and pit into a 10 gallon tub. Make your mods, then put it all back. How long could it take?

Does yours have the hood on it? I had heat issues when mine had the hood. Would make a great open top tank!

Do you guys still have that 30 long? Are you home on sat eve? We will be in wheatridge for a swim meet. If it is over in time I'd love to see the system.
HA! yeah, it's a small tank. Prolly all fit in a 5 gal bucket.
It does have the hood, but we modded it to have LEDs, so there aren't heat issues.
I'll ask Mike about the 30L. We've got a ton of tanks around here.
Yep, we'll be here. Come on over!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I meant is it set up, the 30 long that is. We'll see how the meet goes. We will not know when Abby is swimming till tomorrow at 6:00 am. It may be noon or 5:30. If it's the latter we'll be fried! I'll let ya know.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
OH! Do you mean that long peninsula nano? That's by the front door.
UFFDA!! What bet did she lose that she's gotta swim that early in the morning?? No sweat- lemme know. I'm home all day. Mike gets home around 7ish. I'll explain the system as best I can, but he's the marine engineer and master plumber.