New Tank Build- From Scratch. Step by step. All things considered

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am posting this in the newbie corner as my first thread for several reasons.
1. I know a little about a lot, but still would not come close to knowing everything this hobby (and yes if you call it a hobby you are still green, soon it becomes a way of life, and for a few a religion) has to offer.
2. I have always been into tanks, freshwater far too long. However it is only of late my saltwater has gone beyond FOWLR. (Fish only with live rock, you will see it a lot.) (speaking of which, we need a glossary for acryn, is there one?)
3. As this is going to be from scratch we will be able to walk through everything step by step, so a newbie can jump to where they find themselves.

Ok so some primer. I am now in a 90 gal tall show tank. I was fowlr for quite some time, only recently changing my mind and picking up some minor frags. I have a sump, and just put in a fuge Above my tank on a shelf. (That is a whole other discussion, I’m me.)
However I literally just bought a 300 Gallon glass tank, stand, and canopy. In fact so recent, I have not moved it here yet. So I can take pictures step by step.

Now in my case, a tank of any size has no value, function, purpose being setup in a basement, unless finished, and the primary hang out location of the family. So I have already contacted several Structural engineers to calculate, design, and certify the house won't turn into a black hole. And yes folks, with that kind of weight, don't chance it. However 100 gallons, you should be fine on an outside wall near the wall. If you’re going for the middle of a room, with no joists, be safe and have it looked at.

So my new tank. Its 8 feet long, 2 feet wide and 31 inches tall. It has a stand. It has a canopy. It has some pvc pipes and plumbing, but I suspect most will be useless. I have no bulkheads in the 2 built in overflows. No lights, no sump, no fudge, no pumps, no nothing.

So you see literally from scratch. I hope you’re excited, I am.
So the Tank and stand and canopy are due to move Sunday. I could always use another guy, as the tank itself weighs over 700 lbs. We will set it on the floor because we are not yet ready to setup. I know, drag. I will work on staining and sanding and some sort of clear coat or protective layer now. Keep in mind, 2 of us could not lift this later, and who wants to tear down a tank again?
So time for a recommendation from those more experienced. We need some recommendations on stains or water proofing coats?
While this takes place, the structural engineer will have to figure out if the floor can take it. In my case it will go on an outer wall and thus be load bearing. It will touch 5 or 6 (depends on placement) joists. These joists go from one side of the foundation to the other and span just over 15’. They are 19” off center 2x12’s. If I get close enough to the wall the rear will be over the cement foundation to a degree, but negligible. This does not matter as the cement does not go all the way to the joists, since the ribbon joist(?) sits in between. So this engineer will have to say if the floor can take it, and if not, what must be done to make it so? One thing I have learned; do not just add support column(s) to the cement floor. That floor (least mine) is designed to float up and down. If it cannot in your area it could crack the cement or worse push your floor above up and create undesirable and potentially destructive stress points on your tank.
So for those doing the math to figure high saltwater is 8.4 (rounded) lbs per gallon. =2520 lbs. The tank 800 lbs. The stand and canopy roughly 200 lbs or less. Add a sump, fuge or both later and perhaps another 100 gallons =840. So now we exceed 2 tons by 360 lbs (4360lbs) and I have not added live rock, substrate, lights, pumps, people nearby, let alone the critters. Don’t forget, all this in the small footprint of a 8’x 2’ section. Ouch.
So this is the first week. Let’s pause here, hear questions, comments or suggestions on finishing stains, engineering, or anything related to the first portion of this project. I don’t mind hearing any jealousy either; lord knows I have dished out quite a bit in the past. Guess it’s my coming up dues. Hey, if you want to see the tank from the jump, we could always use a few more people to help load and off load. It would mean a lot.
Also, my existing tank is right smack where this puppy needs to go. And since I suggested the wife could get a cow fish we may keep it, though somewhere else. Possibly an outer wall on the opposite side of the house so as to keep it from tipping over. (joke, I just can’t help but think of the congressman who said he was worried about sending aid to Guam because so many people could make the island capsize. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg)
Pics coming soon.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome, good luck with the build!! As for stains I just use a traditional stain and polyurethane sealant, not sure if this is the "best" way to go but I have never had problems.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Denvercherub;143265 said:
LOL Dillon didn't want to read it all either
I read all of it, i am just pooped from moving all day and am to brain dead right now to think that much:)

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well thanks for the big welcome. I had another idea thinking newbies would want to get an idea of rough costs as the journey goes forth. If you have other ideas to track or discuss when the time comes, please suggest it.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
So the Tank and stand and canopy have arrived. The tank is on the floor, and cleaning has begun. The stand and canopy are in the garage and the stand has recieved the first coat of stain. Only one coat will be applied followed by a coat of sealant. To do list, find sump, pump and bulkheads. The engineer is coming out in a few hours to calculate if/how the floor can take the wieght. Pictures to come today.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
So the engineer just left. The good news is that the joists will take the weight. They will transfer it to the Microlam (spelling) and those to can take the weight. Bad news is he has to check the brackets that hold the joists to the Microlam to ensure they can take the weight. He thinks we will be fine, but says he will let me know tommorow night! Tomorrow night? Clearly this guy is not into the hobby, or surely he would know I can't wait until tomorow night. Nevermind I have no sump, the stand needs another coat of protective finish, that I have no bulkheads, and that I have to find guys to help lift this beast onto the stand. Obviously all this is impossible to be done before tomorrow night and begin to add water, but I still want to know now. Only because I want to start filling it now. However if the brackets dont pan out, the fix will be inexpensive, but the outer wall as our backup plan is ready to go and can take the wieght.

OPS. That reminds me, I am going to need a lot more salt. LOL. Anyone know where I can get the best deal? Im off to troll for some plumbing and sumps.
I have the smaller bulkhead, but need to get plumbing for it. Thinking of making my own dorso. The larger hole (drain) is nearly 3" wide (2 3/8"). But I am told a 1.5 inch will cover it? Can we get some dialog going on plumbing now? Depending on the sump i get I may plumb to sump in basement because the stand is only open at the doors, so what I can fit in here is limited. I have a laundry sink in the basement where I can drain too for changes, and this is also where i hook up to make my ro water in a 55gallon drum. Then i pump this into another drum with crushed coral (ph), heater, pumps (circulation) to make my salt mix before I pump it up to the tank. Hell, 1 more drum, and that can be the sump. What do you all think.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do the basment sump! having a remote sump makes alot of things easier....its a little more pricy do to plumbing and the pump but you wont have restrictions on skimmer or other equipment. i use a 125+gallon stock tank for my sump. just an idea it works ok besides there is no baffles. where are you located?

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
[attachment=60950:name]So here are pictures of the stand, with some of the finish and stains I used. The openings are 20"t x 30"long so getting a sump of decent size in here may be problematic. Here also is a picture of the tank and the wall its likely to go on. Works great because my existing tank is across and down a bit. May keep that or eventually go freshwater and play around with some kind of aquaponics system. Why not utilize the lights?

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
tlsrcs;144390 said:
Do the basment sump! having a remote sump makes alot of things easier....its a little more pricy do to plumbing and the pump but you wont have restrictions on skimmer or other equipment. i use a 125+gallon stock tank for my sump. just an idea it works ok besides there is no baffles. where are you located?
I don't know where I have more room, the basement or under the stand. It is not finished, so of couse that means it is full of crap. LOL I am in Parker.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is one BIG tank! very long.....you gonna get some tangs? oh parker is pretty far for me to come help but im sure there are some guys here that would come help you out.