New Tank Build- From Scratch. Step by step. All things considered

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Also for whom ever else may need some i can get you what ever you need. I am a landscape architect so I can get wholesale costs from local suppliers (irrigation and pond supply wholesalers). I just need a day or 2 notice. Here are my costs for the bulk heads:

3/4" - $3.76
1" - $4.71
1.25" - $4.71
1.5" - $7.07

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reefer;144409 said:
Also for whom ever else may need some i can get you what ever you need. I am a landscape architect so I can get wholesale costs from local suppliers (irrigation and pond supply wholesalers). I just need a day or 2 notice. Here are my costs for the bulk heads:

3/4" - $3.76
1" - $4.71
1.25" - $4.71
1.5" - $7.07
Sure now that i paid 10 bucks each you speak up lol

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya thats too bad. I just raced to the edge of Denver and Aurora to pick up bulkheads before they closed. Got thier with 2 min to spare. Only paid 19 bucks so no biggie compared to what everyone else charged.

For the record, imho. Parker sprinkler sucks. I called and left them a message a few weeks back. It took them over a week to call me back from my voicemail. Then per the post tonight, i bailed over there. I was thier at 4:15 and they were long gone. During the season, if you just want to walk in the door for sprinkler parts then ok. But if your trying to go outside the box, they are not helpful.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ya I'm sorry for the suggestion my friend, I feel bad you rushed over and they were closed. I just knew you were in parker and that's why I made the suggestion. I've never been there it used them myself, I just knew they sold them. Again I apologize for steering you wrong.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
You didn't steer me wrong. I already had my doubts and jetted over there as they were so close. Even though I still could not reach them by phone. It was on the way for some errands. No sweat. They pick up on the customer service when the sprinkler season comes into focus.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
For Newbies trying to get an idea on cost here is a tally so far.
$700 300 Gallon tank, stand, canopy < I think this is theft, so if you don't agree I don't want to know :p
$100 8 Guys to load, 6 to unload
$195 Structual engineer to ensure my living room does not become a black hole. We are wrapping up, but if anyone wants contact info pm me. He was the cheapest with the most experiance, with the least (0) complaints and failures. Unbeatable as most these guys charge this for an hourly rate.
$40 All my sch80 bulkheads 4 in total along with 2 adapters threaded for the drains.

The look on everyones face when 8 guys tried to lift this beast Yep, you guessed it. I know I heard someones knee pop out.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok all, I am shoping a sump and it just occured to me. Is thier an equation to acertain teh size of sump one should have? I think this would be excelent for myself, but any newbie who reads this as well. Or is it simply bigger is better?

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I thought I read somewhere to use a minimum of 20% of the volume of your display, course, bigger is better.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;144749 said:
I thought I read somewhere to use a minimum of 20% of the volume of your display, course, bigger is better.
I always heard it was 10%, eh they're only "rules of thumb" anyways. Just to make it easy, not many people running a 100 gallon tank run a 10 or 20 gallon sump, it's usually much bigger. Some people like to have their sump "almost" be the same size of their DT.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thought I read somewhere that 10x the dt size is optimal. That's a lot of water. For bang for your buck, I'd get a rubber stock tank from Jax or somewhere. I've noticed lots of the bigger tank guys run one. .02

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;144753 said:
Thought I read somewhere that 10x the dt size is optimal. That's a lot of water. For bang for your buck, I'd get a rubber stock tank from Jax or somewhere. I've noticed lots of the bigger tank guys run one. .02
10x or 10%? I don't know too many people who run a 1000 gallon sump on a 100 gallon tank?

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
So 10-20% or more if you can. If I plumb to basement I may go 150g or 50%. Much bigger and I will need more drums just to do my water changes lol.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im running almost 300 behind my 300 but I want alot of fish. This is what I read weather or not its right i dont know but.....The more fish the more water you need behind.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got bad news today. The structural engineer has delivered his report. When he left the hangers that joined the joists to the microlam were the only question mark. He thought we might be ok, but if not some more industrial hangers would do the job. Well the report reflects that the hangers won't support the weight, and just says that it would be expensive to replace. He did not elaborated. The report did however certify that everything was in order to place the tank on the outer wall (our backup location) without further work needed as it sits right over the foundation. Of course this is where my 90g tank is now, so draining, temp home the critters, and move everything becomes necessary. This and I still have yet to find a sump. So a few road blocks.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The sump needs to be large enough to handle the drain from the DT when not in operaton, IMO 10% is way too small, thats a 30g on a 300, you need at least a 55, if not larger, I will be setting up a 280 soon and my sump will be at least 75g+.