Return Pump connection - what should I do to secure?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Of all the stupid noob things I have done...

I woke up this morning to the GFO tripped, no tank circulation, and a stand full of 2" of water. See the pic, I have an in sump return pump that connecting to braided vinyl tubing, then to pvc for my return. The braided vinyl tube has a screw-on metal clamp on the side that connects to the barb fitting for the PVC pipe, but I didn't use a metal clamp for the barb fitting on the pump. I didn't want to put a metal clamp in the saltwater. Well I paid for not having that end secure, as this is what broke down. The return pump barb fitting came loose from the vinyl tubing, and shot water out until the GFO got wet.

I got lucky that nothing died. And that my stand bottom is lined with PVC.

What should I do to secure the pump barb fitting to the vinyl tubing? Too bad I didn't silicone it before I filled the tank with water.

View attachment 8495

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you can get it tight enough, you can use a zip tie right under one of the barbs. I ran a tank over a year that way without issue.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
michael.lemke said:
Show the pic to ace hardware. They'll have a plastic clamp thingies. Can not remember the name. $.50 each.
I don't think Lowes or HD sell them, Ace or McGuckin Hardware is where I've bought them.

Blazinjack said:
If you can get it tight enough, you can use a zip tie right under one of the barbs. I ran a tank over a year that way without issue.
You're stronger than me, because I can't get those things tight enough. I always get a leak, but the crap ones that came with the TLF reactor hold up quite well

Sent using Forum Runner

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks again, everyone. Since I had the flood, maybe I should try the clamp, just to be safe. I'll head to Ace and see if I can find one.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;183299 said:
You're stronger than me, because I can't get those things tight enough. I always get a leak, but the crap ones that came with the TLF reactor hold up quite well

Sent using Forum Runner
I have man hands!! No I'm a diesel mechanic so we have the good ones and I use them everyday!!

I would get rid of the soft tubing all together and replace it with pvc.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
The whole reason I didn't PVC to the pump is because of the barbed fitting it has. I have the Quiet One below. I thought I'd have to convert to flex for the first part of the plumbing. But maybe I'll take the piece with me to the hardware store and see if they have a threaded piece that I can plumb PVC from?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OWYY3O/ref=wms_ohs_product

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm not familiar with those pumps but most outlets screw out and you can screw in a pipe fitting.

mortimersnerd

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most fish stores carry the little plastic clamps. You can get them plenty tight with a pair of channel locks. Even stainless will rust in saltwater-it just takes longer.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK I got rid of the flex tubing and PVC'd it all the way to the pump thread. That's what I call jumping from 75% to 99.999% confidence (instead of just 90%). Never would have thought to do it if I didn't throw this question out there. Thanks hombres!!!