ShelbyJK's QT Build & Fish Journey

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
newtoreef;154944 said:
Damn man sorry to hear it. I guess I'm lucky I have 7 fish and no qt so far so good the only one that worrys me is my foxface but I read they change colors when they get ****ed off or sleepy lol wish the best for ya btw got all my fish from Nick Ambrosio great Guy only the fox face is from LA lol
Thanks, that's a good track record for no issues! Many people have done it for years. However, marine forums are littered with stories of those who "got away with it" for many years and then got one bad outbreak of something without QT. I just want to start right as these are my first "big" builds. ;) Glad to hear you're fish are doing awesome!

cdrewferd;154966 said:
Glad you got another MI. Maybe it'll do better with the swimming room in the DT.

Drew
Me too...kinda. ;) He's stressing me out. He ate awesome at Key's, which was doing a blend of many of the major frozen foods. Elite Feast is basically the same thing, already pre-mixed. I've also tried three other foods (including live brine) and it just isn't interested in anything that I can tell. :( I love that it swims end to end...so awesome to have a fish in the big tank! :) Just want it to last.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
tlsrcs;154971 said:
i may have a 50g you can borrow for a QT tank if need be.
cdrewferd;154979 said:
Yea, I have a 35 long and a 20 tall. Would work for the smaller fish.
Thanks fellas...I might consider tanking someone (or two) up on the offer here in the near future. The only problem with setting up QT's is all the other stuff needed; HOB filters, heaters, lighting and flow (pumps/powerheads).

Anyhow, the update for last night and today is a GOOD ONE!! The only frustrating news is the MI is still at a standstill with eating. :( HOWEVER, all four of the angels are eating everything I put in now and I'm thoroughly happy about it. Even the Majestic, which has been concerning me, is eating Elite Feast now (along with other stuff). Couldn't be happier that everything is on the upturn. I'll keep the copper in for one more week and then remove all the treatments for another week or two before considering the big move! Now I can see why many people cut their QT time short. They all "appear" very healthy and it is tempting to get them into the big/stable tank so they don't have to spend any more time in a cramped and less-stable environment, but I'm gonna stick to the process!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good luck.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good to hear.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Update on the Moorish...eating like a champ!! On my weekends, I could literally feed this fish all day long. He's actually starting to look unheathily healthy...aka...fat! ;) I'm not complaining but honestly concerned about overfeeding. I tested the waters the last couple days and realized he ate everytime I would put food in (probably around 6 times each day). The only time he doesn't eat is when I come home from work at night. Shows absolutely NO interest in food at all. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the shock of me turning the lights on when I get home? Happy with the progress nonetheless.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Right on man glad to hear your Idol is doing awesome!!! Hope all the other fish are doing well too!!!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very cool.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks to everyone for the support and well-wishes! :)

GOOD NEWS....the fish are out of QT and happy in their new home!! I put them in on my birthday, won't be one I forget. ;) I've been wanting a saltwater fish tank since I was in junior high. I know i've had the nano going for awhile, but not the same. I got into the hobby and wanted these types of fish for like 20 years.

Anyhow, the only bad news...the day before I the fish were to go in, the Majestic showed up with white spots. Talk about Murphy's Law. I guess it was better then rather then a day after it went into general population. I'm assuming it's ich, which is crazy since he did at least 14 if not closer to 21 days in copper treatment. Oh well, he's already a week into another round. AND of course...the blueface also showed up with red sores/legions the same day. Realizing it was bacterial and no doubt from the crappy water quality while in QT, I made the decision to put him in the DT. So far looks completely healed up!!

The happiness (for the moment) can be seen in my signature now. :popcorn:

What an awesome start! You have some very stunning fish in there. Those clowns have so much contrast and their patterns create so much movement, they look incredible. Congratulations on realizing a long-time dream come true!

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;161336 said:
Thanks to everyone for the support and well-wishes! :)

GOOD NEWS....the fish are out of QT and happy in their new home!! I put them in on my birthday, won't be one I forget. ;) I've been wanting a saltwater fish tank since I was in junior high. I know i've had the nano going for awhile, but not the same. I got into the hobby and wanted these types of fish for like 20 years.

Anyhow, the only bad news...the day before I the fish were to go in, the Majestic showed up with white spots. Talk about Murphy's Law. I guess it was better then rather then a day after it went into general population. I'm assuming it's ich, which is crazy since he did at least 14 if not closer to 21 days in copper treatment. Oh well, he's already a week into another round. AND of course...the blueface also showed up with red sores/legions the same day. Realizing it was bacterial and no doubt from the crappy water quality while in QT, I made the decision to put him in the DT. So far looks completely healed up!!

The happiness (for the moment) can be seen in my signature now. :popcorn:
Probably lympho, especially that far into QT, lympho is not curable and has many of the same symptoms as ich, if so stress will cause flare ups, but is not life threatening.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wicked Demon;161346 said:
Probably lympho, especially that far into QT, lympho is not curable and has many of the same symptoms as ich, if so stress will cause flare ups, but is not life threatening.
it can be life threatening if it gets in the gills

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Punjab;161345 said:
What an awesome start! You have some very stunning fish in there. Those clowns have so much contrast and their patterns create so much movement, they look incredible. Congratulations on realizing a long-time dream come true!
Thanks for the kind words! I'm loving it and definitely a dream/goal realized. :)

Wicked Demon;161346 said:
I'm thinking/hoping this is correct. It seems as though it comes and goes, in "flare ups". Definitely leaning toward lympho/cauliflower.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Latest Update...

I put in my Majestic Angel and Coral Beauty (from my bedroom nano) in at the same time a couple weeks ago. I covered the tank with comforters to completely black it out for almost three days solid since there was a good amount of picking on the new additions. Seemed to work fairly well as things seemed pretty calm after the three days. The Coral Beauty took the worst beating and I was VERY concerned with it's fins all torn up.

About a week more into it, I realized the Blueface Angel was not having it with the Majestic. I noticed the Majestic was starting to get white spots again (almost certain its not ich). My better half and I believe the Blueface is just too stunning to take out, so the Majestic had to come out (was easier to catch anyhow). The Majestic just went into the 110g that is up and running, just empty. The spots have pretty much disappeared again, I think it's just lympho that is stress induced. The Coral Beauty is completely healed up and happy. The Flame and CB were not getting along at all that first week, which was to be expected. Now they seem almost friendly!!

The Moorish is doing amazing still, best eater in the tank. So good in fact that tonight it regurgitated right in front of me which i'd never seen him do. Noticed he was eating insanely fast though tonight. Even though the blueface is the "alpha" in the tank, the Cream Angel is right behind it, and honestly more of a bully in the tank than anyone else. Hmmm...

CRW Reef;161547 said:
Evan doesn't the saying go no pics, it didn't happen ;)
lol...soon, I'll update the video too as soon as the new fish go in!!

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh, recently I got a Pakistan Butterfly about two weeks ago now, and it has not eaten once (that i've seen), not sure how it's still alive. It's gradually gotten emaciated. :( I have tried every food I can think of other than clam on a half shell. Have also been using garlic in the food and in the tank water. Anyone have ideas?!? I've done live, frozen, mysis, brine, cyclop, elite feast, roggers, misc algae sheets (shows some interest), pellets, flake....etc etc. Strange/weird thing...when I put my arm in to change the algae sheets it's VERY interested in picking at my arm (possibly arm hair). What gives?!? :wall:Oh, the Pakistan is dealing with a TON of lympho/cauliflower as well, which I mis-diagnosed as ich in the beginning of QT again. Now I've seen lympho enough I won't make that mistake again.

Picked up a Purple Tang last weekend and after a week in QT with the Pakistan, it's doing awesome! Eating everything like crazy. I was hoping it would help peer pressure the Pakistan into eating, no go. The good news is the tang is doing awesome!