Some recent work (not hobby related)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know many of you are not interested in these kinds of non hobby related pictures and posts as a few of you have expressed to me however I also know some of you do appreciate this sort of thing so I thought Id share some of my recent work.

20160823-Ant 10 stack1-Edit by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

20160823-Ant 13 stack 1-Edit by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

20160719-flystack07192016.5 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

20160820-IMG_6813-Edit-2 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

20160716 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

20160814-IMG_6200-Edit by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

White Spider by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

Sunflower Bug by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

Blue Wasp 44 stack by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

20160814-IMG_6310-Edit by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Totally awesome macro work! I like the fly with water droplets and the head on fly close up. Totally awesome, should be in a museum somewhere!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks! Its so funny you mention that specific picture. So many people like that one which is why I included it but its probably my least favorite. It has a lot of issues with color noise and over all processing. Its also my earliest attempt at this kind of macro so I wasn't entirely sure about what I was doing, it was an experiment really. Its definitely one I will have to redo at some point.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
All of the different textures of the super close ups are what really amaze me. So cool, the things I don't really see as I am chasing it around with a fly swatter! Thanks for tossing in a spider too, just to make my skin crawl while drinking my morning coffee!

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Absolutely beautiful pictures. I would love to be able to take pics like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude. You're strait up talented. Keep living life... Expressing it through great hobbies and a multitude of interests. Keep posting man.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Incredible.

I can't believe that you can see the details of hairs in those pictures.

Do you take requests?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Love the ant pics. Especially the 2nd one. Look like some of my hyper detailed 3d models I have done in the past, just better.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks again for all the compliments!

jda123;n657551 said:
What are you shooting with these days?
same as before the canon 70D and 6D but I'll be moving up to a 5Dsr before long.

for macro I prefer the crop sensor on the 70D for better working distance and compression and use the 100mm f2.8L for most of the outdoor stuff and a Canon MP-E 65mm 5:1 with a custom light box for the really close stuff. I just got a Venus 15mm 1:1 wide angle macro which should be fun and will be picking up Canons 180mm 1:1 soon as well to start playing with high speed stuff like coliding water droplets and shattering glass.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Crotalus;n657567 said:
How do you keep the ants still enough to get a photo?
well for the really close up ones they either have to be dead or asleep with co2. Those really close ones are made up of several images so they can't move at all or it ruins the shot. For the outdoor ones on the leaves I go out at right before sunrise and take the shots just as the sun is coming over the horizon and they are still cold. They still run around all spastic but it's a little slower and I use 1/250 flash synch to freeze any movement.