Splitting RKL outlets

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Anyone know if its ok to put a spliter on a rkl? Thinking i would like split two outlets so I can put 2 cords of LEDs on each splitter since both cords come on at same time. Lmk your thoughts

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ok looks like each outlet is rated up to 8 amps each. Anyone (reefkoi esp) know what a 120w evo with 2 cords, amp usage is per cord?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ohms law baby!
Current(amps)=voltage/impedance
Or you can use this formula:
Current(Amps)=square root of (power in watts (60per cord)/impedance in ohms x cos omega)
According to my pocket reference book: "omega is tge phase angle in degrees by which current lags voltage or leads voltage in a standard household 120VAC phase angle is 0 to tge 0 power. If that's plugged into the formula Amps = .2

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ok guess I was being lazy and didn't actually look on the lights lol. Here is the sticker. Looks like no matter what the amperage is per cord I should be ok.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sweet!! I was also gonna say that I have 2 t5s on one of my channels so I know it's ok

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ok last question on this and then we can be done. Those that have split an outlet did you use a powerstrip to split or a plug in splitter? If a splitter, where can you get a splitter that goes perpendicular to the pc4 vs parallel and blocking other outlets?

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use an extension cord just a small plug at the unit but make sure your chord has the grounding post.

I used to run two 175 watt MH lights off of one PC4 outlet. If it is a higher powered device, or multiples like that run it off of port 1 or 4 as they are rated higher (8 amp). Channels 2 and 3 are only rated at 3 amp.

I personally would run a small splitter as opposed to another surge protector. As for where to get one I'm not sure, I haven't looked in awhile (sorry) have like 3 sitting around.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Should be able to pick up a grounded extension cord that has three outlets. I'm using one for my breeding tank setup.