Synden's build-off competition entry

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Not much to report, just did a 50%water change yesterday, pulled out some of the turf algae growing and nuked several of the apstasia with some lemon juice.
Everything still looking good, not much growth yet but it'll get there. Likely add some more coral soon and still on the hunt for the second fish.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Did a 50% waterchange today and tested the water, and snapped a couple quick picks.
Been a bit concerned about the pistil shrimp though. Goby been hanging out on the sand bed the last few days and haven't seen the pistol digging or anything. I did hear his snap last night, once, but he been pretty quiet otherwise. Hoping he is okay and gets back to digging soon.

Turf algae still an issue but I just been pulling out any that grows long enough to come off the rock.

Parameters for the tank look mostly in line. pH and alk a tad low but nothing alarming. I'll start adding a bit of baking soda to the top off and monitor alk levels

pH 7.7
Alk 7.0
CA 400
Mg 1380
No3 0.0
Temp 77.9 View attachment 15321 View attachment 15322 View attachment 15323

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Did a water change yesterday and cleaned the glass. Algae starting to receed a bit but been seeing a bit of cyano. Nothing crazy but gotta keep it in check.

Growth is slower then I'd like. I think my pH is to low. Going to add a fan and see if I can come up with a co2 scrubber of some sort for the air line.

Pistol and goby still doing fine. Don't see them much since they have taken up residence behind the rock.Got tons of baby snails, some stomatellas and some spaghetti worms showing up in the tank

Been wanting to add another fish and a few more softies but haven't had the time to do it lately
View attachment 15501 View attachment 15502

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Did a waterchange this weekend and added a fan to help try and raise pH. Has helped some although evap now is hard to keep up with, so may need to think off another auto solution.
Also added a rainford goby and a few more corals from the dbtc. Charged myself $10 a frag for those.
View attachment 15530 View attachment 15531

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Going to Japan for the holidays in Dec/Jan, so gotta figure out an ATO solution for the tank. Ever since I added the fan, things looking better but the evap is harder to manage now. It only takes about 8 hours for it the evap to reach a point that the pump starts blowing bubbles, so need to come up with a simple solution to make it last 2 weeks or more. I am just going to do a real simple solution and run an RO line from my current reservoir to a basic float valve in the pump chamber. I ordered 40 ft of tubing and a float switch ($26) and I will need to make some sort of bracket to hold the valve. I have a fair amount of scrap acrylic around the house, so shouldn't be hard to make that.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Parts for the ATO are in. About 40' of ro line, some fittings and float I got on Amazon for $25. I am going to use an old glass cleaner magnet and some scrap acrylic I have on hand to make to bracket. Compartment this will go over is pretty tight but should be just enough room to fit it in

In other news, I am sad to report the Rainford goby did not make it. Not sure what happened, he was swimming around and pick at the rocks and sand as he should and next day he was floating around in the flow.
So I think I will switch it up now and going to find a clown goby for the tank instead
View attachment 15638

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So stopped in at Aquatic Art today and found a awesome little Possum Wrasse for the tank ($35). Ill try and get some pics of him later this weekend if I can.
Will be hunting for a few more corals to add to the tank at the show tomorrow too. Will have to see what I find.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Picked up one Coral at the show yesterday from Reef Stars for $15. Really like the colors on this one.
Kind of got a photo of the new Possum wrasse. He is hard to get a pic of because he is always on the move. He is eating well so far and seems to be settling in nicely.
See I have a little cyano again. Nothing crazy but kind of bothering the fungia corals. Will have to keep an eye on it and hopefully it will go away soon View attachment 15754 View attachment 15755

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Was trying to get a better shot of the Possum wrasse, but he went back to being shy as soon as I bring out the camera. He been very active though, and now begs for food when I get near the tank
Decent growth in some of the Coral. Mushroom in particular have been growing and quite a few new baby shrooms. Zoa growth overall has been slow so far but nothing has melted or died off at all.
Keeping up on weekly water changes but thinking to shift to a couple small changes a week to get the bit of algae and cyano to go away. View attachment 15816 View attachment 15817 View attachment 15818 View attachment 15819 View attachment 15820

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Thank, ya, I really like it too. There is another Ric in the tank, a green one, that is behind the zoa rock so hard to see, but its done very well and has grown to be the biggest coral in the tank. Hoping the multi-colored one does the same.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
OOO couple nice corals I won on Reef Auctions coming in later this week. Can't wait. got a chalice, a platy and a grandios paly, for $24.25.
Will post pics once I pick them up