The build thread: 430gal. display

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, when I set up the barrel the other day I also plumbed in my old frag tank, a 40 XL (4' x 1' x 1'). I finally brought the filefish home to that tank (day 60)!!!

And the files:

For comparison, the male day 1:

The male today (day 60):

The female, day 1:

The female, today (day 60):

In other news, I added a copepod predator:

And, a butterfly being cleaned:

Woohoo! :)

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It was dry sand from Dowell Aquarium Gravel, some Florida company, so I assume it's from off the coast somewhere. Pretty scary, really, considering how polluted Florida is.

I haven't really tried all that hard, though I did give the filefish a handful. Their eggs are green and they lay them in algae patches, so I must give them algae.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jason,
DIBS used to be the name of this website.

http://www.reefstewardshipfoundation.org/

I'll probably always call it DIBS because the name is much easier than reefstewardshipfoundation hehe
Seriously though, it is a great site if you want to start breeding invertebrates or if you just want some information about invertebrates.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nope. ;)

I'm sure I'll run out of time and space (in fact, time seems really tight right now) eventually. And we might want to take a vacation one of these days....

Clowns seem to take quite a while to get comfortable and decide to spawn. That's why you have to try everything so you always have something to do. ;)

jntcox

Turbo Snail
jasonh;11071 said:
lol.

Hey, if you ever need a tank sitter while on vacation, just let me know :D
Yeah Andy, you definitely won’t have a problem getting someone to take care of you tank while on vacation. You might even need to start the application process now and weed out the bad ones. Then there’s the entire interviewing process… it’s time consuming.

Just more things to add to your busy schedule, but it’ll make you appreciate that vacation even more!!!

jntcox

Turbo Snail
I would be one of those bad ones that get weeded out right away. I don't even trust myself with my tank let alone someone elses. However, I will be down at the A.F. Academy for some extra schooling here in the near future and would love to see it first hand.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fortunately or unfortunately, Boulder doesn't always work that way....

Jimmy--Did you see the article in the latest Coral? :) I haven't seen it yet, but here's Matt's blog:

http://microcosmaqx.typepad.com/matt_wittenrich/

They are on my list. In fact, I was looking over the ordering list at the LFS today, wondering whether it was time to try to get a couple. I didn't pull the trigger yet. I want to get the display running and give the copepods some time to populate before I put in a huge predator. And, the tanks downstairs are starting to fill up.

But, the display's pH is down to 8.77!

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, I'm sure it helps to have a research lab, raise larvae as a job, and have access to wild plankton. But, yeah, his years and years of experience does show.

Looks like the concrete doesn't have enough buffer left to hold the freshwater pH stable. When I test it today (twice so far), it goes up to 8.5x and then immediately starts dropping, last time down to 8.2. :)