The build thread: 430gal. display

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep, my software came with the camera. It's nice except you can't use the computer as a focus aid because my camera doesn't have live view. I usually use the software when I connect the camera to a microscope because I don't want any vibration.

--------------------

Here's a video of the male filefish doing a little courtship display:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ePkAtDG9U

--------------------------------------

Some FTSs for you. The algae has died back quite a bit and some sort of turf algae has taken over. Fortunately, it's still a species that the tangs like to eat and it's short.

Living room side:

Bathroom side:

A coral (elkhorn acro):

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Frogspawn news: Looks like the little guy is hanging in there. The connective tissue separated a couple of days ago.

And a blenny portrait:

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's the small one, sitting in the barnacle. :) I sure hope these two pair up. The small one is still occasionally doing submissive displays, but I've seen no more aggression.

The male cardinal started eating today. :( No sign of a release. He's still young yet, though. I think he'll get the hang of it. He lasted a really long time for a first spawn.

Those Blennies are the coolest thing ever! They may not be the prettiest as far as colors, but to me they are almost like dogs. Resting on rocks, chasing their tail, following you against the tank! There pretty cool!

-David

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
FTS:

Bunch o' chromis:

Still fighting the cyano. To be fair, this is the low-flow, large polyp part of the tank:

My dussumieri managed to take the scalpel right off one of the purple tangs. Unfortunately, he used his flank to do it. So far he's healing fairly well, though. Any sign of infection and I'll be pulling him back out. It's weird because there hasn't been a whole lot of aggression for a while.

In other news, I'm cranking up the kalkwasser stirrer. My tests are mostly good except that my pH is running around 8.0. So, I'm trying to bolster that. Plus, I prefer to run with high alk so the pH stays steady and moderate (but steady) calcium and the tank's doing the opposite right now.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The purple seems fine except minus a scalpel. Not slowing down at all. The big purple and the dussumieri have been ignoring each other all night so I hope they are done.

----------------------------

Check this out. I've been recording the filefish. The only problem is having to go back and review the recordings. Anyway, in this clip at about the 8 sec. mark the male shoots out from the left side of the tank in a crazy "flutter dive" display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjNpZ3vyj1w

Ummfish;12202 said:
More filefish videos.
And, I've never actually documented it, so here's a video with the filefish eating frozen foods (here, Nutramar Ova). Plus, bonus footage of fat gobies. :)
I'm sorry I didn't see any filefish eating anything, All I saw were those 2 camera hogs up front :D

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Man, aren't they HUGE! :)

So, do you think that the orchid is going to drop some eggs for me tonight? :)

And, here's the frogspawn baby:

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Monday and today have been dedicated to trying to solve the heat issues with the tank. So, a big hole through the brick wall later and here's what we came up with. I still need to wire up the motor.