The build thread: 430gal. display

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The dang geothermal guy changed his mind about doing that--without telling me--and just turn the fishroom into a zone instead. But, the display needs something to move the hot air out.

Honestly, I'm a little upset with the geothermal guy. Grr.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sigh. Fired up the inline fan this afternoon and had to immediately turn it off. The noise was horrendous, like a police siren. So I pulled that out of there and turned the Vornado around to point into the ductwork. Then I added another small house fan to the other end to blow cool air in. Seems to be working fine for now, even with all of the doors down. Still waiting on the final verdict, though. Time to really get ****ed at the guy.

I got a BIG chiller I'm trying to get ride of for a good price.
Its a TradeWind Chiller 1/2HP Inline.
PM me if your interested.
good luck with the heat.
-Andrew

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sigh. I'm sick of dealing with him. Grr. What really annoys me is that I told them all about the heat issue. Multiple times. They assured me that they had it taken care of, so I stopped worrying about it. Silly me.

I do think I'm probably heading somewhere towards the multiple computer fan thing. I have a couple of other experiments I want to try first though.

The chiller would certainly be the reliable way to go, but I only want to ditch a couple of degrees and I'd be happy. It's only the nice weather in the spring and fall that I really worry about, when we aren't yet running the AC. I'll keep you in mind, though. Thanks!

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The temp seems to be hanging steady. I turned the Vornado around and pointed it into the ductwork and added a second fan taking fresh air from the house and blowing it down into the water. The evaporation seems to be the key.

I added three female solarensis wrasses to the display and that seems to have filled the movement bill I was looking for. Now the male is out and about and there's pretty much constant movement all over the tank. Two of the chromis made it into the overflow, though, and have taken up residence. :( How do they get in there past the gutter guard.

I've also taken on a challenge, though they aren't proving a terribly big deal. I ran across three juvenile Chaetodon plebeius. According to Michael: "The Bluespot Butterflyfish feeds almost exclusively on hard coral polyps ..., but also eats some filamentous algae.... Even though it is difficult to keep, the captive longevity record for this species is 13 years" (p. 174, _Angelfishes and Butterflyfishes_). Well, the fish are _young._ They have just started developing their blue spots and are probably just a little larger than a U.S. quarter. They ate Rod's Food, Nutramar Ova, and frozen cyclops yesterday within about ten minutes of being added to their tank and have little bellies on them already. I love Rod's Food. So, today is day 2. Aggression is already starting to be an issue with two mostly staying together and excluding the third. Once I get some weight on them, I'll have to re-home the third or move it to another tank in my system.

I've been sick today, so no photos yet.

More filefish stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMua8mA7oqM

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
And, another filefish update. Day 125 in my care! And 65 days in a tank with _no_ corals....

Male:

Female (sorry the glass wasn't so clean):

And a random blue-spot photo from yesterday:

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My lovely bride wandered in with a low-end video camera (with really nice optics (Zeiss) :) ) today. What must I do but immediately try to make a macro lens for it out of a pair of binoculars I found in the basement?

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3CTwhjrYqQ

This is obviously just a test shoot, but what do you think?