The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Mike for the herculean effort with us getting that tank in with just the 3 of us. Hopefully we can still move in the morning.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

Fitz19d;271407 said:
Thanks Mike for the herculean effort with us getting that tank in with just the 3 of us. Hopefully we can still move in the morning.
I got the tylenol in as soon as I got home. Time for another dose! lol you are welcome.

This was day 2 in a row of tank moving! I'm tired. Still need to clean the basement, find time to aqua scape. Then I really need to clean up the wiring and such ! Wow.... It's a mess!!!!!!

Also need to rig a pulley system for the hood. Anyone else have a "floating" hood system with pulleys?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you get the hanging kit like what comes with the AquaMedic lights, you can raise it up and down with the metal cable fastener things. No pulleys, but they are adjustable.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;271464 said:
If you get the hanging kit like what comes with the AquaMedic lights, you can raise it up and down with the metal cable fastener things. No pulleys, but they are adjustable.
New technology like this is overpriced and unnecessary. Ordinary chain and an old-school pully is solidly reliable. It's worked for situations like this for years. No reason to rely on thin airline cable to hold that much weight when the old way of doing it still works.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
CindyL;271465 said:
New technology like this is overpriced and unnecessary. Ordinary chain and an old-school pully is solidly reliable. It's worked for situations like this for years. No reason to rely on thin airline cable to hold that much weight when the old way of doing it still works.
The airline cable is fine. I'll probably use it as it's super strong. The aqua medic and the like require something stronger than wood to screw into. They have a tiny threaded part that is meant to screw into a threaded counterpart. I think the airline cable and a few pulleys will easily raise the hood up for tank maintenance. I just want to move it up a few inches and down. I wish the aqua medic ones would work for this application.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mike
I wanted to stop buy yesterday to see the tank but spent too much time at Gonzos. I will get over there sooner or later. Looks good though!

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
fishguy69;271498 said:
Mike
I wanted to stop buy yesterday to see the tank but spent too much time at Gonzos. I will get over there sooner or later. Looks good though!
Hopefully you were able to get some deals from josh. My tank isn't much to look at yet.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
greeneyedgirl;271881 said:
How's the tank looking
Looks ok. Clearing up. Doing a 5 gallon wc every day to help avoid a cycle. Also added a bottle of dr. Tim's one and only.

I have been doing a bit of rock work but don't want to stress the system for a few more day. (Been there, done that)

All fish are eating and accounted for. All the coral I have looks good. I'll start looking for coral on a few weeks. Going to wait till I have good coralline algae growth before introducing any new stuff.

Loving the basement sump!

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not sure if I said it yet. Despite being smaller, yours sure seems just as large or larger. Love the deep dimension and some day I'll follow suit I think. Less gallons but just feels like more presence. Then again some of that may just be what happens with lights on and clowdy water still, makes it seem a big solid cube. But I think the increased surface area is ideal.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Fitz19d;271932 said:
Not sure if I said it yet. Despite being smaller, yours sure seems just as large or larger. Love the deep dimension and some day I'll follow suit I think. Less gallons but just feels like more presence. Then again some of that may just be what happens with lights on and clowdy water still, makes it seem a big solid cube. But I think the increased surface area is ideal.
Thanks man, I'm really happy with the shape and size of this tank. It's like an oversized 120. It't a big but not too big tank. The depth from front to back is really nice. Actually gives real viewing from the sides as well as the front.