Working in deep sumps?

Etoimos

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm kicking around the idea of using a 75g or 100g tank to build a sump for the 270g DT I recently ordered.

For those of you that have used such tanks for your sump, is it a PITA to work in it? I would probably only run about 12" of water through it (the skimmer would still have to be raised up) to allow for enough space for the DT draining into it when the pumps are off.

With roughly another 10-11 inches of glass above the water line, does that make it a lot harder to work in?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have a 75g standard size tank I use for my sump and I think it's easy to work in. I'm not crawling under a stand though. Did you figure out a way to go through the wall into the garage for a fish room?

I want some more details about this 270!!

Etoimos

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 75g standard size tank I use for my sump and I think it's easy to work in. I'm not crawling under a stand though. Did you figure out a way to go through the wall into the garage for a fish room?

I want some more details about this 270!!
The wife approved the fish room build yesterday! So I'll be building a 5'x13' fish room in the garage. It is not a ton of room, but way more than trying to work under the stand! I'll have to start a build thread on this whole project here soon.

Etoimos

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm running a 125gal on my 180galand I don't have any issues working in it either.
I was reading your build thread the other day, so thanks for chiming in. In my mind reaching over/around the tall walls to things lower down in the sump seems like a pain, but maybe I'm just over thinking that. Especially now that I can have a fish room where the sump can be placed at the correct height for me to work in it.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
My problem was going to be had I stuck with my original plan of putting it under the stand. That would have been a nightmare. But since I moved it into my closet and I have a lot more room, reaching into it isn't bad at all. The deepest part of mine, water wise is where I'll be tumbling chaeto. It is 17" and I don't think I'll have to be reaching into that part very often.