135 Peninsula /Guitar man cave

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So my dad has finally done it! He got what he wanted...a man cave full of guitars, pool table, tvs, and a bad "a" 135 peninsula tank. The 135 is a custom reef ready from Animal Attraction. We are in the process of the build, and breakdown of his 125. We still plan to stay with a mixed reef. I plan on using his refugium, live rock, lights (which are needing parts from a Chinese order gone wrong), and fish; the rest all new.

The plan is to make the tank a room divider for the media area and the music/rare guitar room (might have to build humidors for the axes due to water evaporation). The fish room will be split from the laundry room and a closet with the refugium, which is a blessing from what he has now. What he has now is my old room full of a huge tank and guitars in cases:( Poor him, must be rough!

Where we are at is a stand made out I'd 2x4's, room repainted, wainscoting in process (stand to match), new tank in house, and a heck of a tank move ahead of us. The issues/problems are holidays, mine and dads busy work schedule, my own home remodels, my tank, girl friend, and my mom/ his wife.

Pictures to come, due to my iPhone camera crapped out. Deadline Christmas....ho, ho, ho! More like ha, ha, ha....good luck!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
tanks + guitar = look forward to this build!

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Getting tired of hearing about "chinese order gone wrong" the order was fine I busted my arse for everyone. Drivers going out is not an order gone wrong. That's parts needing replacing like any other light that has drivers go bad. Most people didn't like their red LED's that they requested, including myself, that was the main issue.

Anyway looking forward to seeing the tank progress

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Sounds sweet!

*subscribed for pics...*

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;209807 said:
Getting tired of hearing about "chinese order gone wrong" the order was fine I busted my arse for everyone. Drivers going out is not an order gone wrong. That's parts needing replacing like any other light that has drivers go bad. Most people didn't like their red LED's that they requested, including myself, that was the main issue.

Anyway looking forward to seeing the tank progress
Yeah Gabe's part was fine. It was the quality that lacked.

Post up some pics or it never happened ;).

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
My apologies, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was playing down the led purchase, the parts to fix are going to be shipped. Gabe worked with me during my frantic last decisions, and has helped me since to get things fixed. I just wanted to document the steps that got us to where we are...sorry Gabe.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So some pics for you all to see where we are at in the process. We have been working on and off in this process, however with work and the holidays it is been on the back burner. The way the room is set up has a large tv on one side of the room and the tank and fish room/closet is the divider for the area for jam sessions. The oak has not been stained yet, so the pics are of the raw wood. We have put up more trim since these pictures have been taken. What we are planning to do is put all of the tank sump and other workings in the closet to hide it all and have it run through the wall to the tank. Then we are going to have a access panel for maintance, but will not be detectable. The middle of the stand is going to be a book shelf to keep it a little more open. The first two pics are of the skeleton of the tank for support, 3rd and 4th have the skin on it, and the last two are with some of the wainscoting started.
[attachment=63241:name]

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: 135 Peninsula /Guitar man cave

Looks great, nice work!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks! The wainscoting panels to the left of the tank stand will frame and hang two guitars. I am going to have some free time this weekend to get some work done! More pictures to come.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
id say the guitars with a reef in the background is the coolest thing....wheres the bar going?

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, I am just jealous my dad has this room instead of me! As far as the bar goes, I am thinking of dry bar in the billard room. Just put some finishing touches on the stand this weekend. Installed a hidden door to access the plumbing under the tank which is supported by magnets, finisehed trim, and put the oil on the wood this weekend. Now we have to seal the wood, start the tank move, and get the surround sound working (any geek squad employees here?)! I will post more pics this coming weekend.

Side note I have a thread on here about LEDs on here so if you have any thoughts on Razor lights please post.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just for an update we are putting on the wood finish, doing three coats minimum. Once that is finished we will place the tank on the stand, Get the plumbing in, then make the tank move. The search for lights is still an on going search, but we think it will 2 Veags.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank is on the stand and plumbing is starting. If you can see where the hoses are that panel is hidden and when closed you can't see where it is. Next step is going to be cutting through the wall and into the refuge.[attachment=63431:name]

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wate is soon to come...we are now at the point wondering if we should just start a new fuge at the same time and start a new cycle. The last tank had some manjos, but want t o avoid them this time. Another issue we ran into is an unlevel basement floor once we put weight on the stand, so we are going to have to shim the tank....