135 Peninsula /Guitar man cave

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
[attachment=63567:name]so here is the plumbing through the wall. We are almost at the point of adding water. The plan is to reefscape then get they cycle going...

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Live and dry. What I envision is a lot of holes and maybe two different main rock islands. I really want to keep the open look to the tank with tons of swimming space and great places for coral on the sand bed. Most of my nights are spent googling aquascapes.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
did you find Paul Whitby's articles on aquascaping? Awesomeness. google "aesthetics of aquascaping", so you see the 3 separate articles at top of search results.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey thanks! I have not come across it yet. I am really wanting to get lights up before the rock so I can take into account for shadows.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well the rock has been cooked and free of manjos, however if I don't start the sump from scratch will I just slowly reseed the tank with them again?

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
[attachment=63713:name]Reefscaping has started. The main body of the rock is up, and going to work on a smaller rock mass on the other end of the tank. The plan is to kerp it a low structure to keep an open swimming space for fish.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
[attachment=63820:name]This weekend we were able to hang the AI Vegas, filled the tank, and got the sump moved and installed. All we have to do is to hide the cords, fix one small plumbing issue, and add the last few pieces of live rock. We were able to use the old sump, so I hope this cycle will be a bit faster. We are only moving 11 fish, a LARGE desjardini tang, 2 clowns, copper band, lawn mower blenny, and 6 blue chromis. I would like to also add a top to reduce the evaporation but I don't want to loose out on light...any ideas on what to use? I will post more pics this week as things get solidified.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: 135 Peninsula /Guitar man cave

I don't know how I missed this, I'm really jealous of the Vegas.

I'd just make sure there is no ammonia or nitrites present. I'm a worry wort and dose a big bottle of bacteria until it runs out. It all depends on your timeframe though, what you "need" to do.

For a lid to keep evap down, you got me. I used glass tops once upon a time, but I needed to do daily maintenance to keep the salt creep in check. I didn't like that, some days I didn't have time, then I'd forget for a few days. I settled on an ATO and mesh tops. Not really what you asked, but that's my story.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
We thought of a mesh top but I am worried about the humidity on the guitars. I know some humidity I good for the wood, but too much can be a bad thing...thus I'm thinking glass top.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: 135 Peninsula /Guitar man cave

I don't know how much glass tops are going to help, maybe my memory is failing me though.

A dehumidifier is ridiculous, maybe a simple exhaust (meaning taking the air anywhere but the fish room) fan is in order. I'll let others with more expertise come in.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thinking about installing a bathroom fan into the closet that ties into the HVAC system. Might as well share the humidity through the house in good ol' dry Wyoming.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay, so let's talk flow...with a open end what does the flow look like? Currently I have a flow that looks like ~~>