Any HVAC techs in here?

IUFan

Angel Fish
I’ll be installing a dehumidifier in my basement, I feel like I can DIY, but seeing if there’s anyone on here that knows this stuff and can assist, can pay in cash or corals. LMK.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I have been considering doing this as well, although haven't quite decided where to put it

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have used them extensively in Missouri.

For Colorado, I find no need as long as remember to turn the humidifier off on my furnace and exchange plenty of air in the house, which also keeps the in-house co2 lower and helps the humans and keeps the pH up in my tanks.

I just suggest a portable unit with a larger capacity reservoir. Built in ones are fine, but they are more expensive and stuff and getting the humid air into the room that they are in is not always easy, unless you are just lucky and both are the same. I found that having a unit just in the room where I needed it (sump room) was plenty fine. If that room has a drain, then great... if not, then you do have to empty a the reservoir every few days.

We usually have to add humidity to the air in the winter time with all of my tanks. We do LOTS of air exchange, though, and we run a 10k+ CFM whole house fan even in the winter time now that everybody is used to the nice, fresh air... my kids have asked me when we can get the stuffy air out during a longer cold-spell.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya, I would only need it during the summer when I can't open the windows during the heat of the day, but since my tank is in the basement and my house is not that large, humidity in the house can run around 65% during summer days.
I have a portable unit, but the problem with it is that it pumps out quite a bit of heat when its running, which only makes matters worse really

IUFan

Angel Fish
I’m going to be adding another 700 gallons in the basement next summer, so just trying to plan ahead,

I’m thinking of the aprilaire e70, hanging it from the joists and running ducts to it from fish room and from directly above the (future) tank… but what to do with the exhaust air??? Maybe run the exhaust back into the main house hvac???

Concerned about corrosion but technically the exhaust air should be free of salt by that point?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Generally I believe the exhaust would go out through your air conditioner

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Might be worth considering a ductless mini-split. They have good rebates right now with most utilities and if you get the right style they can run in any combination of heating, cooling, or dehumidifying. Not the easiest thing in the world to DIY and you would need an electrician for the hookup (you will need this with the other one you linked too).

Sent from my SM-G986U using MASC mobile app

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Might be worth considering a ductless mini-split. They have good rebates right now with most utilities and if you get the right style they can run in any combination of heating, cooling, or dehumidifying. Not the easiest thing in the world to DIY and you would need an electrician for the hookup (you will need this with the other one you linked too).

Sent from my SM-G986U using MASC mobile app
I have a mini-split in my garage since it’s my workshop. One of my best expenditures.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can exhaust just right into the room that the unit is in. If your HVAC is setup right, then it should grab air from all over the home and distribute it. I would not force air into the HVAC unless it is running already. You can get portable units that don't put out as much heat, but they also remove less moisture.

Everybody can get air into their homes in Colorado if they want to. Even in July it is usually 70 degrees by 10:00 and high 50s or low 60s in the wee hours... this is when we run our whole house fan which brings in that nice cool, dry Colorado air. We hardly ever run the AC since it is terrible to watch the electric meter spin when all three AC units start up... but there are probably 2 weeks when that cool morning air is not enough by 5-7:00 and it gets up to about 80 in the house... but the kids and wife have gotten used to it and don't mind to save the power and a few hours later, it is 70 degrees again when the attic fan turns on. Half the time, nobody is even here.

In the end, outside air exchange is the best. If you have a few thousand gallons, then air exchanges are probably the best, then dehumidifiers and then AC. With any equipment, you will need some fans in the room to keep the air moving or else they AC or dehumid unit can just work in pockets.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can exhaust just right into the room that the unit is in. If your HVAC is setup right, then it should grab air from all over the home and distribute it. I would not force air into the HVAC unless it is running already. You can get portable units that don't put out as much heat, but they also remove less moisture.

Everybody can get air into their homes in Colorado if they want to. Even in July it is usually 70 degrees by 10:00 and high 50s or low 60s in the wee hours... this is when we run our whole house fan which brings in that nice cool, dry Colorado air. We hardly ever run the AC since it is terrible to watch the electric meter spin when all three AC units start up... but there are probably 2 weeks when that cool morning air is not enough by 5-7:00 and it gets up to about 80 in the house... but the kids and wife have gotten used to it and don't mind to save the power and a few hours later, it is 70 degrees again when the attic fan turns on. Half the time, nobody is even here.

In the end, outside air exchange is the best. If you have a few thousand gallons, then air exchanges are probably the best, then dehumidifiers and then AC. With any equipment, you will need some fans in the room to keep the air moving or else they AC or dehumid unit can just work in pockets.
80 degrees is rough. My wife detests the heat. Our thermostat is set to 72 in the summer and 68 in the winter. Like you said though, we pay for it.