Diamond in the Rough

This time last year was a very overwhelming experience when I first got this tank up and running. Previoys experience of 6mos with a 15g column tank and a canister filter with limited success. The 55g frag hybrid had the good the bad and I still had a whole lot to learn. I am very pleased with what this tank has become and am very grateful for the people I have met along the way. This started as a "we will see where I will go with this hobby" to a full blown love and passion. I wouldnt change anything about this journey and after much trial and error I am finally at a position of beauty. Very pleased for this one year mark and looking back at what I started with to now is an amazing thing. From building my own sump from pieces of glass to creating an amazing oasis with more to come....we will start it from the beginning and bring it to the now with the next photos....I cant wait for the 200g and to start the next journey its gonna be a blast.....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Super impressive!!

What is the box hanging off the right hand side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This guys has put on some good growth since I picked him up a few months ago huge shoutout to underwater wonders on some great acro frags for an awesome price. Seth has some awesome knowledge if you all are ever in northern colorado on a friday or mid saturday stop by and check it out awesome shop....

Got to see an awesome tank today @IUFan that thing is a beast and looking good. Snagged a rose bubbletip in the process and a grizz adams frag. Everything is still rolling. Started carbon dosing vinegar to try and dial in nitrates. Excited to see how things flow once thats steady...

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Can I suggest some good porous live rock, from the ocean if you can find it, in the sump. That would really help your nitrates with little to no input from you. Branch rock is my favorite but super dense and not great for biology inside.

Last edited:
Can I suggest some good porous live rock, from the ocean if you can find it, in the sump. That would really help your nitrates with little to no input from you. Branch rock is my favorite but super dense and not great for biology inside.

Yea I have grabbed some from a tank thats very mature but I am sure I am at max capacity lol gotta get the 200 up soon lol. Gotta come grab some sticks from you soon let me know when your ready to clear some more space out...

Might have to grab a few pieces of rock from you if you got some available

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Yea I have grabbed some from a tank thats very mature but I am sure I am at max capacity lol gotta get the 200 up soon lol. Gotta come grab some sticks from you soon let me know when your ready to clear some more space out...

I’m kinda planning a pretty big reset in a couple months!

Rolling into the second week of carbon dosing and not too bad still super high but it was to be expected. This second week I should start seeing some differences. Nem is doing great and got some nem boxes for xmas to keep the one that is never happy in. Seems to actually be doing better in the place I set him up at. But the bubble tips have gone away they look like lta's ive read that can happen with nutrients being outta wack. Things are still encrusting and doing well just hoping to get some color back on a few items that suffered most likely from the spike of nitrates. I will be honest things were pretty dialed in until I went to work overnights the last few months and didnt test like I would normally do. But now on vaca for a week b4 going back to days so looking forward to getting back on track!!! Few shots from today....

Havent been able to get much done for the 200 still gotta get a thorough rinse after using cerium oxide to polish...first i was sick then kids on christmas now the wife been a fantastic vaca. But hey did finally get the aquamaxx fc120 in and its doing its thing. Also got this beast for the 200 cant wait to see this thing perform. @IUFan thanks for the skimmer ( vertex alpha 200 with neck swabbie and 5g bucket attachment) def. going to be money well spent. It was almost as big as our tree lmao hahaha totally kidding. Just went up in carbon dosing and with the fc120 in there should be able to keep up and start pulling some gunk out. The one i had before was just a little too small so went to the fish closet and pulled out the next size.

Grabbed a couple of killer sticks today from @Rigo07 and also a pc rainbow stick from Underwater wonders. Seth is killing the acro game up there and always has some awesome sticks up for grabs. Cleaning today and also got a pump clean out tomorrow for the returns....everything is looking great and I am super excited for things to continue. First pics are the scores from today and then a fts and a few feature shots as well. Things are going well. Gotta test the 20g tomorrow and a nitrate test on the frag tank as well. Skimmer is rolling strong and glad we went the next size up.

Return pump and return pump chamber clean. Love it when its sparkling. It def. Increased flow by a lot and I have a feeling the sticks are gonna love it. Happy Saturday everyone.

Been a rough few weeks. Had a return line valve split at the union hard lined for a day til I could get the new valve on. Started using the fc120 aquamaxx skimmer due to nitrate issues. Started carbon dosing which seemed to do its thing but went to quick and burnt some tips on some acros. Dialed that down and did a 25% water change and things are stable for nitrates no ups or down just a steady number for the last 3 days. Have another 25% water change coming tomorrow. As well as one final 25% water change on Friday. The oversized skimmer is doing its job and keeping things stable. The good the bad and the ugly has all happened in the last 2 weeks but you learning a lot of good things for future. Might have to replace a few frags ora red planet and Burning Bananas. The Green slimer (browned out and tip burn but holding on) might have to be replaced. Appleberry is a possible replace and green birds nest will need to be replaced. Everything else seems to be doing ok and will hopefully come back with time and stability.

The skimmer I was using was def under rated for the tank. The carbon dosing (used 5% vinegar) was new to me but worth a shot. Its seems to be working but not at the level i was at.

Look forward to turning things around and getting back on track soon enough. Hope all is well everyone and that you have had a Fantastic New Year start out.

Was able to get nitrates lower and things are starting to come back in color and extension. The 20g is rolling strong and got a nice scoly piece for a good price. The coloring is starting to change up since I run higher nutrients in the 20g. Pulling a slight orange and slimer green is starting to pop out more. Going to have to frag some zoas again which is good. Got a few things moved around and was able to get a couple acan frags off the sand bed and onto a stand. Few shots from earlier before moving some things around. Will be testing the 20 in the morning but everything looks super happy so cant be too worried. Going to start possibly carbon dosing the 20 depending on where levels sit at in the morning. Coraline is taking off in the 20 and starting to cover almost all the rocks. Lobo is starting to puff up to what it was which is a really good sign.

@Rigo07 thanks for the hook up on the plates they are doing awesome in both systems the two chalice look awesome as well. The acro is settling in good. All in all awesome stuff. If anyone is in need Rigo has some good items up for grabs.

Made some progress on the 200g today got the back painted and it rinsed out fairly well. Still going to do a full rinse when the weather is nice and get into the crevices with a tooth brush just in case. I left the two overflows without paint so I could see through just in case someone goes up and over. Slowly but surely getting there. Excited to get this thing going...finally for the frag tank around 20ppm for nitrates and holding steady at .06 phos
Alk is 7.9 to 8.1 calcium at 470 and mag at 1440. Carbon dosing with vinegar 8ml twice a day and corals are starting to explode. Added another light (noopsyche 60w) hoping to pull more color and have less shading. It does make it pop though.

Got some new toys. Decided to go cheaper for the 55 but still more then the power head I had in there. So far everything in tank is happy. Some shots of the acans from reefstock as well