Doc’s oops I did it again 200 gallon

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Right on Doc, glad to see you getting crazy! Looks like a fun build!
I’m pretty excited for sure! It’s all coming along nicely so far. I hope to finish plumbing in the next week or two once the silicone is good and cured. I have about 40 lbs of rock that has been brewing for several months. I’ll have the tank running for a while before the move.Hoping to make the transfer early this summer. I’ll be selling lots of Frags in a few weeks to make the transfer easier.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Super cool custom sump/fuge. Looks intimidating building from scratch like that. Is this difficult? Keep the pictures coming!
Thanks! It’s not really that hard. I’ve done several little dosing containers and added dividers to existing tanks in the past. I built one smaller tank a few years ago as well. This is the largest thing i’ve done for sure. It’s been setting up for a week so I hop to get it tested today.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Well... the sump passes the water test last night. I got the stand (for the equipment and sump) finished last night. The stand is in the equipment room of my basement. The tank is on the other side of the wall in the basement/tv room. It’s mostly plumbed! I’ll be giving it a test go this evening!!! Super bowl win!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Looks great. At what size would you need to add a brace to the tank?
I used an aquarium thickness chart I found on google. The height seems to be more important than the length. At 15 inches tall I have a safety factor of about 3 (on whatever scale they use, and that’s accaptable) if I went any taller i’d Need thicker glass or to brace. Since the water level is at 11” I decided not to brace. Now that you asked i’m Second guessing myself... lol

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Now that you asked i’m Second guessing myself... lol
Lol. Didn’t mean to make you question yourself! A brace should be pretty easy to add if you do start to notice any flex. I’d take a very precise measurement of the top in the center and check it every few days until you are comfortable.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So i’m An idiot! I didn’t put the gaskets in the Synergy overflow correctly. They have one for the inside and one for the outside of the glass for each of the two bulkheads. I dudn’t Notice as they were stuck together and only put them on the inside of the tank. Well... I had an f ing drip on the back of the tank! What a mess to correct!!! 30” tank from front to back is a bit hard to work on! Lol Lesson? READ THE DIRECTIONS! Don’t tell my wife... haha

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Lol. Didn’t mean to make you question yourself! A brace should be pretty easy to add if you do start to notice any flex. I’d take a very precise measurement of the top in the center and check it every few days until you are comfortable.
Well... I shoulda braced it! Don’t ask. I have work this weekend...

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
View attachment 12250 View attachment 12251 View attachment 12252 View attachment 12253 Well, after the sump issue my wife “recommended” I “just buy a nice sump and quit fussing” so I ordered a triton 44 from BRS. I had a coupon and points saved so I went for it. I am pretty happy with it. I also got a cheep led panel for the fuge which seems pretty slick and the cheato is growing. I have about 40 lbs of rock and 150 lbs of sand in it and have been running it for two or three months. I added a couple green chrome’s to have some waste in the system and a purple tang a few weeks ago. The rock had been cooking for 6 or more months in a tub plus some from my sump that is well aged. I also have a marine pure block that was in my other system for a couple years. (I’d recommend these to anyone thinking of adding another tank or upgrading a tank with existing sump... lots of bacteria in there)

Here’s the tank and sump. The tank awaited my halides and t5’s but has some blue led strips and a Ai Prime illuminating it for the fish.