Drew's 120 build

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So basically, to make it a Herbie, I just need to put a ball valve on one of the overflows?

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, change to a Herbie last night, and it's louder. The ball valve is dialed about halfway back and has that overflow above the drain pipe. On the other overflow, the water never gets above the drain pipe and it's just sucking water. This is the only noise coming from the tank. Should I try to raise the water level in the main tank?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its difficult to picture what you have described here.

It shouldn't be louder if its tuned correctly. You want the overflow with the ball valve adjusted just to the point that it just barely cant keep up with the return pump and the little bit extra then flows down the second pipe without the valve. It can actually be difficult to get it just right using a ball valve because sometimes you need such fine tuning capability. A gate valve is actually better for making it easier to tune but you can do it with a ball valve you just got to keep making very small tweaks. Also you will need to set up the second overflow without the valve with an "open channel" inlet did you do this?

You can actually get a description of the open channel inlet on the beananimal website.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 what Kalgra said. You should now only have one durso - this should be the overflow without the ball valve. The pipe with the ball valve should have had the durso cut off, and should rise to several inches below where the other durso's down-facing pvc el is (Kalgra I believe gave stated this gap should be 2"). Your water line / overflows should look like this picture (but of course, each pipe shown is in its own separate overflow box in your system as you are doing a herbie using 2 separate overflow boxes).

If the setup is all done this way, but your water line isn't where the picture shows it, you will have noise and will need to fine tune the ball valve. If the water line is above the picture, adjust ball valve so it is more open. If it is below, adjust ball valve so it is more closed. Give a couple minutes in between each tweak so the water flow stabilizes before you conclude that the adjustment didn't work.

I have a ball valve, not a gate valve. I agree with Kalgra, precise adjustments are much more difficult. Trial and error.

http://marine-engineers.org/2011/07/05/the-herbie-overflow/

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ahh, didn't realize I should leave the durso top on the second pipe. I'll try this tonight and see what happens.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you mean you took them both off or only the second pipe one off? Sorry I'm dense, well anyway, bottom line is you should have 1 durso top (not 2, not none). Durso top should not have ball valve, other one should.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Correct, I took off both Durso tops. I'll put the one back on tonight, adjust the height of my pipes and let you guys know what happens.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You guys are awesome. I did the above at lunch and the tank is much quieter now.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
if by "you guys" you mean kalgra's cat's nuts, i totally agree

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blue stripped rabbit fish

Tri-color wrasse

Melanarus wrasse

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Decided to just do a regular build and have all updates in the last post.

No comments on the fish?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice to see a fowlr with some fish in it. :) Grats on getting everything going Drew, can't wait to see this in person.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Austin, the melanarus, aka Hoevens wrasse, is sweet. He hid right away and hasn't come back out yet. Hope he comes out in a few days. Also, did you get my text about the cardinal?

Khalis, it's been a long time coming. Come on by whenever. I put the reef bright strip on it and it looks sweet. Hope to put up more photos of fish and a FTS tomorrow, or at least this next week some time.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Brent. If you could just get Brian to build your stand you could get going huh? Lol